Percy Darling, 70, is the titular widower, a rigid man still sorely missing his long-deceased wife. He holds the center of Glass’ tremendously engaging fourth novel, The Widower’s Tale, set in a bucolic town outside of Boston. Orbiting around Percy are two grown daughters: one a divorced flibbertigibbet and the other a renowned oncologist who is as stern with her family as she is open and available to her patients. Add to the mix a wayward Harvard grandson, a Guatemalan gardener, a gay preschool teacher, and a salt-of-the-earth artist who reminds Percy that he is still very much alive. It’s a large, endearing cast, bursting with emotional and social issues, and Glass slips effortlessly between their individual and enmeshed dramas. As she well proved in her National Book Award-winning Three Junes, Glass crafts dense and absorbing reads that are as charming as they are provocative. A?
The Widower's Tale Percy Darling, 70, is the titular widower, a rigid man still sorely missing his long-deceased wife. He holds the center of Glass' tremendously engaging...The Widower's TaleFictionJulia Glass Percy Darling, 70, is the titular widower, a rigid man still sorely missing his long-deceased wife. He holds the center of Glass' tremendously engaging...2010-08-25Pantheon
The Widower's Tale by Julia Glass
Genre: Fiction; Author: Julia Glass; Publisher: Pantheon
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More