This memoir from the noir novelist James Ellroy is subtitled ”My Pursuit of Women.” If that sounds ominous, then you are clearly familiar with his previous writings. Certainly there is much in The Hilliker Curse to trouble any prospective father-in-law of Ellroy’s as he describes desiring his own mother ”in unspeakable ways,” or recalls how his first sexual partner called him ”a perv, a bum lay and a fascist.” The author does decline to dish on his long-term partners — a gallant trait, albeit one that makes for some dull passages. But his description of a mental breakdown he suffered while promoting 2001’s The Cold Six Thousand is as fascinating as it is at times utterly disturbing. B
The Hilliker CurseThis memoir from the noir novelist James Ellroy is subtitled ''My Pursuit of Women.'' If that sounds ominous, then you are clearly familiar with his...The Hilliker CurseMemoir, NonfictionJames EllroyThis memoir from the noir novelist James Ellroy is subtitled ''My Pursuit of Women.'' If that sounds ominous, then you are clearly familiar with his...2010-09-01Knopf
The Hilliker Curse by James Ellroy
Genre: Memoir, Nonfiction; Author: James Ellroy; Publisher: Knopf
Posted September 1 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Everybody Loves Raymond' reunion set for ATX Fest in 2016
- Kurt Russell rides again in the cannibal-western 'Bone Tomahawk'
- Snapchat original programming channel 'winding down'
- Beach House stream three songs from surprise album
- Tim McGraw drops video for 'Damn Country Music'
- 'Grandfathered' star Josh Peck talks possible 'Drake & Josh' reunion
- Quentin Tarantino to release two cuts of 'The Hateful Eight'
- 12 Instagram Photos of Pitbull Hanging Out with Celebrities
- 25 Unforgettable Dresses From the Past 25 Years
- Box Office Flops: 19 Notorious Opening Weekends
- EW's 25 Best Movies in 25 Years
- EW Reunions: Bonus portraits of your favorite TV and movie casts
- 'The Walking Dead': 15 Exclusive Storyboard Illustrations From Season 6