Why make a documentary about a subject as well-covered by the media as Pat Tillman, the Arizona Cardinals star who put his football career on hold to join the U.S. Army Rangers? Because after Tillman was killed (by friendly fire) in Afghanistan on April 22, 2004, the way his tragic death was lied about, by both the Bush administration and the military, became a study in the evils of American political image manipulation. Amir Bar-Lev’s morally incisive The Tillman Story unravels the deceptions — and the deep dishonor — that inflated life-size valor into fake superheroism. B+
THE FOG OF WAR Pat Tillman and his brother Kevin in happier days before The Tillman Story (Donald Lee)
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Josh Brolin; Director: Amir Bar-Lev; Release Date Limited: 08/20/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted September 7 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Agent Carter' takes on Tinseltown in season 2 teaser
- Idris Elba 'nearly died' filming 'Beasts of No Nation'
- Zach Galligan wants to return for 'Gremlins 3'
- Hear Erykah Badu and Andre 3000 team up for 'Hello'
- 'Gods of Egypt' director: 'Our casting choices should have been more diverse'
- Patti LaBelle spends Thanksgiving with pie fan James Wright
- Hear Sia's new single 'One Million Bullets'