Why make a documentary about a subject as well-covered by the media as Pat Tillman, the Arizona Cardinals star who put his football career on hold to join the U.S. Army Rangers? Because after Tillman was killed (by friendly fire) in Afghanistan on April 22, 2004, the way his tragic death was lied about, by both the Bush administration and the military, became a study in the evils of American political image manipulation. Amir Bar-Lev’s morally incisive The Tillman Story unravels the deceptions — and the deep dishonor — that inflated life-size valor into fake superheroism. B+
THE FOG OF WAR Pat Tillman and his brother Kevin in happier days before The Tillman Story (Donald Lee)
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Josh Brolin; Director: Amir Bar-Lev; Release Date Limited: 08/20/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted September 7 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama smacks down Trump for his Mean Tweet
- Ryan Adams is done covering albums after Taylor Swift's '1989'
- Watch the first two episodes of Hulu's 'Freakish'
- Hanson sang the national anthem the last time Cleveland made the World Series
- 'DWTS' used the 'Outlander' theme song — and it went over big
- Michael Gleason, 'Remington Steele' co-creator, dies at 78
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Can the team work with Daisy and Ghost Rider?