Forget fire and brimstone: According to the gospel of M. Night Shyamalan, Satan has no greater wrath than spooking a group of people stuck on an elevator in a Philadelphia office building. At least, that’s what he spends his time doing in Devil, a pocket-size supernatural thriller that plays a bit like Agatha Christie’s Ten Little Indians retold by an unstable Sunday School teacher. As low-ambition horror pics go, this one deserves credit for an efficient premise (for which Shyamalan takes a ”Story by” credit) and confident pacing by director John Erick Dowdle (Quarantine) and screenwriter Brian Nelson (30 Days of Night). But go in expecting, say, cogent characters or a clever plot, and you’ll have a devil of a time staying in your seat. C+
ENTRAPMENT The cast of Devil, in a tight spot (Kerry Hayes)
Genre: Horror; Director: Drew Dowdle, John Erick Dowdle; Author: Brian Nelson; Release Date Wide: 09/17/2010; Distributor: Universal
Posted September 21 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- David Strathairn and Uzo Aduba join 'American Pastoral'
- Joey + Rory share powerful video for 'Softly and Tenderly'
- Avril Lavigne and Nickelback's Chad Kroeger announce separation
- Stephen Colbert to interview J.J. Abrams at festival
- 'The Daily Show' adds three new correspondents for Trevor Noah
- E! to air Joan Rivers tribute on one-year anniversary of her death
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!