The Pulitzer Prize-winning author (The Hours) returns with By Nightfall, a portrait of a middle-aged married man, Soho art dealer Peter Harris, who loves his wife Rebecca even as his heart is sent tumbling by the sudden presence of her younger, troubled brother in their comfortable lives. There are sentences here so powerfully precise and beautiful that they almost hover above the page. Whether describing Peter’s insomniac’s meal of a Klonopin and a juice glass full of vodka, or his anxiety over what his choice in footwear announces to the world, or his muffled desire to be stunned by beauty and art, Michael Cunningham renders Peter whole and lifelike. The man is a mess, even as the reader observes him capably handling the minutiae of his very full, very chic life. However, there’s not much of a plot to hold on to here, and Peter, in the end, is not a wholly moving character. ”We don’t care about Emma Bovary or Anna Karenina or Raskolnikov because they’re good,” writes Cunningham. ”We care about them because they’re not admirable, because they’re us, and because great writers have forgiven them for it.” There’s no question that Cunningham is an astonishingly great writer. But this reader wanted to care more. B
By NightfallThe Pulitzer Prize-winning author (The Hours) returns with By Nightfall, a portrait of a middle-aged married man, Soho art...By NightfallFictionMichael CunninghamThe Pulitzer Prize-winning author (The Hours) returns with By Nightfall, a portrait of a middle-aged married man, Soho art...2010-09-22Farrar, Straus & Giroux
By Nightfall by Michael Cunningham
Genre: Fiction; Author: Michael Cunningham; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- Watch Daft Punk's ode to Nile Rodgers from new documentary
- Jason Reitman hosting 'Mad Men' live read, finale screening
- Hear Barenaked Ladies' '90s alt-ballad 'Say What You Want'
- 'The Originals' star: Season 2 finale sets up 'a whole new show'
- Jenny Slate, Ari Graynor to star in FX road-trip comedy fro 'Obvious Child' team'
- D'Angelo announces U.S. dates for Second Coming tour
- 'Penny Dreadful' showrunner John Logan teases season 2's 'ferocious enemy'