There are two insurmountable problems for an exploitation flick in which a woman is gang-raped and exacts revenge by creatively torturing and killing each rapist. One: This is a remake of Meir Zarchi’s infamous 1978 exercise I Spit on Your Grave, made back when torture porn was readily identified as disgusting and worthy of outrage. Now it’s just one more movie in which genitals are sliced. Two: Zarchi cannily exploited the era’s interest in/fear of feminism (he preferred his title, Day of the Woman). Now it’s just some thin chick in her underwear, kicking butt. C-
REVENGE IS A DISH BEST SERVED COLD Sarah Butler and Jeff Branson in the new version of I Spit on Your Grave (Anchor Bay Films)
Release Date Wide: 10/08/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Anchor Bay Entertainment
Posted October 8 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lupita Nyong'o in talks to star in sci-fi thriller 'Intelligent Life'
- 'Orange Is the New Black' star Taryn Manning is suing New York City over 2014 arrest
- 'Taxi Driver' turns 40: Five ways the movie affected pop culture
- Billy Eichner's trailer was hit by a truck while he was inside
- ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons to star in Discovery pilot 'Rockin' Roadsters'
- 'The Flash' star Danielle Panabaker teases Killer Frost's icy Earth-2 debut
- Jacob Tremblay continues to be charming, poses with Sylvester Stallone