There are two insurmountable problems for an exploitation flick in which a woman is gang-raped and exacts revenge by creatively torturing and killing each rapist. One: This is a remake of Meir Zarchi’s infamous 1978 exercise I Spit on Your Grave, made back when torture porn was readily identified as disgusting and worthy of outrage. Now it’s just one more movie in which genitals are sliced. Two: Zarchi cannily exploited the era’s interest in/fear of feminism (he preferred his title, Day of the Woman). Now it’s just some thin chick in her underwear, kicking butt. C-
REVENGE IS A DISH BEST SERVED COLD Sarah Butler and Jeff Branson in the new version of I Spit on Your Grave (Anchor Bay Films)
Release Date Wide: 10/08/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Anchor Bay Entertainment
Posted October 8 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: James Marsden, Rosario Dawson, more lend voices to 'Henchmen'
- From People: Bruce Jenner to pose as woman for 'Vanity Fair' cover
- Judy Greer and Nat Faxon preview 'Married' season 2
- Universal TV to adapt 'The Wicked + The Divine' comic for TV
- I'm not buying Emma Stone as an Asian-American in 'Aloha'
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- Marvel contest gives teen girls the chance to attend 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!