There are two insurmountable problems for an exploitation flick in which a woman is gang-raped and exacts revenge by creatively torturing and killing each rapist. One: This is a remake of Meir Zarchi’s infamous 1978 exercise I Spit on Your Grave, made back when torture porn was readily identified as disgusting and worthy of outrage. Now it’s just one more movie in which genitals are sliced. Two: Zarchi cannily exploited the era’s interest in/fear of feminism (he preferred his title, Day of the Woman). Now it’s just some thin chick in her underwear, kicking butt. C-
REVENGE IS A DISH BEST SERVED COLD Sarah Butler and Jeff Branson in the new version of I Spit on Your Grave (Anchor Bay Films)
Release Date Wide: 10/08/2010; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Anchor Bay Entertainment
Posted October 8 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Deadpool makes a cameo in new 'Fantastic Four' trailer
- Drake disses Meek Mill during OVO Fest set
- Ellen DeGeneres tweets support for Amy Schumer after gun control speech
- 'Significant Mother' react: What did you think?
- Casting Net: Ali Larter returns for 'Resident Evil: The Final Chapter'
- Amazon defends making a TV show with Woody Allen
- Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale are divorcing