The modern horror movie was born 50 years ago in Phoenix. It was a Friday, Dec. 11, at 2:43 p.m. — or at least that was the time and place that flashed on screen at the beginning of Alfred Hitchcock’s masterpiece Psycho (R, 1 hr., 49 mins.). Let’s be even more specific and put it at the 47-minute mark, when Janet Leigh’s Marion Crane takes her infamous shower. It’s ridiculous, of course, to reduce one of the greatest films ever made to a single scene. But when Leigh is slashed to ribbons and the camera spins around the bloody drain, dissolving into a close-up of her lifeless eyeball, it’s the exact moment when Hitchcock said to hell with the rules. From then on, no one was safe. Even the biggest stars could be butchered halfway through their own pictures. Fifty years on, Psycho is still damn near perfect. It makes us shudder, sweat, and shield our eyes. Now comes a spotless new Blu-ray anniversary edition, and Robert V. Galluzzo’s obsessive documentary, The Psycho Legacy, which gathers a who’s who of filmmakers and genre nerds to dissect the movie with the same gory glee as knife-wielding mama’s boy Norman Bates. The retrospective is dizzy with backstory, dish, and lore. My favorite is an old interview with Leigh, who admits that after shooting Psycho she couldn’t bear to take showers — only baths for her. Who could blame the gal? Psycho: A The Psycho Legacy: B
DOCU-TRAUMA The Hitchcock classic gets a second look in The Psycho Legacy
Posted October 12 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'Hawaii Five-0' taps Julie Benz as Chin's love interest
- The Vision: See Paul Bettany assemble the synthetic Avenger
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!