The modern horror movie was born 50 years ago in Phoenix. It was a Friday, Dec. 11, at 2:43 p.m. — or at least that was the time and place that flashed on screen at the beginning of Alfred Hitchcock’s masterpiece Psycho (R, 1 hr., 49 mins.). Let’s be even more specific and put it at the 47-minute mark, when Janet Leigh’s Marion Crane takes her infamous shower. It’s ridiculous, of course, to reduce one of the greatest films ever made to a single scene. But when Leigh is slashed to ribbons and the camera spins around the bloody drain, dissolving into a close-up of her lifeless eyeball, it’s the exact moment when Hitchcock said to hell with the rules. From then on, no one was safe. Even the biggest stars could be butchered halfway through their own pictures. Fifty years on, Psycho is still damn near perfect. It makes us shudder, sweat, and shield our eyes. Now comes a spotless new Blu-ray anniversary edition, and Robert V. Galluzzo’s obsessive documentary, The Psycho Legacy, which gathers a who’s who of filmmakers and genre nerds to dissect the movie with the same gory glee as knife-wielding mama’s boy Norman Bates. The retrospective is dizzy with backstory, dish, and lore. My favorite is an old interview with Leigh, who admits that after shooting Psycho she couldn’t bear to take showers — only baths for her. Who could blame the gal? Psycho: A The Psycho Legacy: B
DOCU-TRAUMA The Hitchcock classic gets a second look in The Psycho Legacy
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Gisele Bündchen, Patrick Dempsey, Rosamund Pike & More!