The modern horror movie was born 50 years ago in Phoenix. It was a Friday, Dec. 11, at 2:43 p.m. — or at least that was the time and place that flashed on screen at the beginning of Alfred Hitchcock’s masterpiece Psycho (R, 1 hr., 49 mins.). Let’s be even more specific and put it at the 47-minute mark, when Janet Leigh’s Marion Crane takes her infamous shower. It’s ridiculous, of course, to reduce one of the greatest films ever made to a single scene. But when Leigh is slashed to ribbons and the camera spins around the bloody drain, dissolving into a close-up of her lifeless eyeball, it’s the exact moment when Hitchcock said to hell with the rules. From then on, no one was safe. Even the biggest stars could be butchered halfway through their own pictures. Fifty years on, Psycho is still damn near perfect. It makes us shudder, sweat, and shield our eyes. Now comes a spotless new Blu-ray anniversary edition, and Robert V. Galluzzo’s obsessive documentary, The Psycho Legacy, which gathers a who’s who of filmmakers and genre nerds to dissect the movie with the same gory glee as knife-wielding mama’s boy Norman Bates. The retrospective is dizzy with backstory, dish, and lore. My favorite is an old interview with Leigh, who admits that after shooting Psycho she couldn’t bear to take showers — only baths for her. Who could blame the gal? Psycho: A The Psycho Legacy: B
DOCU-TRAUMA The Hitchcock classic gets a second look in The Psycho Legacy
Posted October 12 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Original Mickey Mouse Club to reunite at Disney's D23
- Apple's appeal denied in ebook antitrust case
- 'Creed': Watch the first trailer for the 'Rocky' spinoff
- Apple's Beats 1 radio will be censoring music
- How do Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy compare?
- Watch out, Frank and Claire: Neve Campbell joins 'House of Cards'
- Taylor Towsend will play Julie Cooper in 'The O.C. Musical'
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in new EW portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!