When I heard John Casey had written a sequel to his splendid 1989 novel, Spartina — which The New York Times hailed as ”possibly the best American novel about going fishing since The Old Man and the Sea, maybe even Moby-Dick” — I was dismayed. Sequels, I think we can agree, are not necessarily a good thing. Would Casey evoke his irascible seaman Dick Pierce, and his windy stretch of Rhode Island shore, with the same tender skill in Compass Rose? Not to worry. Dick has faded, but Casey has brought the women in his life to the forefront: his wife, May; his girlfriend, Elsie; and especially his prickly teenage daughter, Rose. (That Rose is Elsie’s daughter, not May’s, drives much of the story.) Though the plot is a bit overcluttered — Casey has stuffed it with deaths, land grabs, scandals, mother-daughter feuds — the characters shine so brightly that it’s easy to forgive a little narrative excess. This isn’t a great novel, like Spartina. But it’s a very good one. A?
Compass RoseWhen I heard John Casey had written a sequel to his splendid 1989 novel, Spartina — which The New York Times hailed as ''possibly...Compass RoseFictionJohn CaseyWhen I heard John Casey had written a sequel to his splendid 1989 novel, Spartina — which The New York Times hailed as ''possibly...2010-10-13Knopf
Compass Rose by John Casey
Genre: Fiction; Author: John Casey; Publisher: Knopf
Posted October 13 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: There's trouble at sea in 'Fear the Walking Dead' teaser
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday