I can barely describe the wonders of Marwencol, Jeff Malmberg’s documentary about a man, brain-damaged following a near-fatal beating, who has built a fictional WWII-era Belgian town out of tiny props and Barbie-size dolls. He invents, photographs, and lives in his fantastical, deeply felt scenarios. This tender documentary considers the mysteries of both art and coping. A-
TOY SOLDIER A medic rescues a wounded major after an ambush by the SS in Marwencol (Mark E. Hogancamp)
Posted October 14 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Insidious: Chapter 4' first look sees Lin Shaye facing her demons
- 'Sherlock' intense season 4 trailer: 'I love you'
- Patti Smith covers Bob Dylan at Nobel Prize ceremony
- 'Silence' reviews: Martin Scorsese's grand epic becomes dull roar
- 'GOTG 2' director James Gunn says Baby Groot isn't a marketing ploy
- Tim Miller on his 'Deadpool 2' exit: 'Don't believe what you read'
- Carrie Fisher feels 'guilty' over publicity of Harrison Ford affair