The modern horror movie was born 50 years ago in Phoenix. It was a Friday, Dec. 11, at 2:43 p.m. — or at least that was the time and place that flashed on screen at the beginning of Alfred Hitchcock’s masterpiece Psycho (R, 1 hr., 49 mins.). Let’s be even more specific and put it at the 47-minute mark, when Janet Leigh’s Marion Crane takes her infamous shower. It’s ridiculous, of course, to reduce one of the greatest films ever made to a single scene. But when Leigh is slashed to ribbons and the camera spins around the bloody drain, dissolving into a close-up of her lifeless eyeball, it’s the exact moment when Hitchcock said to hell with the rules. From then on, no one was safe. Even the biggest stars could be butchered halfway through their own pictures. Fifty years on, Psycho is still damn near perfect. It makes us shudder, sweat, and shield our eyes. Now comes a spotless new Blu-ray anniversary edition, and Robert V. Galluzzo’s obsessive documentary, The Psycho Legacy, which gathers a who’s who of filmmakers and genre nerds to dissect the movie with the same gory glee as knife-wielding mama’s boy Norman Bates. The retrospective is dizzy with backstory, dish, and lore. My favorite is an old interview with Leigh, who admits that after shooting Psycho she couldn’t bear to take showers — only baths for her. Who could blame the gal? Psycho: A Legacy: B
SHOWER TIME! Janet Leigh in a rather unmemorable scene from Psycho (Mary Evans/Everett Collection)
Posted October 21 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Chris Rock announces first stand-up tour in 9 years
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' trailer: Humans and Transformers face off
- George R.R. Martin on 'Winds of Winter': 'Things are getting worse'
- 'Green Hornet' star Van Williams dies at 82
- 'Baywatch' is hitting the beach on Memorial Day weekend
- Beyoncé was already a star at age 10, unearthed footage proves
- See Madonna twerk to 'Bitch I'm Madonna' on Carpool Karaoke
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday