On camera, celebrity fan Sarah Silverman describes the seemingly affectless, deeply literate music of Merritt and his cult-loved band the Magnetic Fields as that of ”a poet inside a mean outer shell to protect it.” A laconic, noodling documentary, Strange Powers: Stephen Merritt and the Magnetic Fields pecks gently at that shell but makes little effort to get underneath. The affectionate, bemused, structurally unkempt portrait is at its best capturing Merritt?s close collaboration with his longtime friend and bandmate Claudia Gonson. B-
MUSIC MAN The cult musician in Strange Powers: Stephen Merritt and the Magnetic Fields
Genre: Documentary; Release Date Limited: 10/27/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 89; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted October 29 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Amber Rose and Blac Chyna challenged all the haters with their VMAs outfits
- Nicki Minaj brings out Taylor Swift to open the 2015 MTV VMAs
- Taylor Swift debuts 'Wildest Dreams' music video before the VMAs
- Nick Jonas crushes the VMA red carpet with 'Levels' performance
- T-Pain took over EW's Instagram for the VMAs
- 5 Seconds of Summer wins 2015 Song of the Summer VMA for 'She's Kinda Hot'
- The MTV VMAs winners list for 2015
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!