Both Kid Rock and Born Free producer Rick Rubin (Johnny Cash, the Dixie Chicks) established their reputations while straddling the worlds of hip-hop and heavy metal, and both have revealed over time a penchant for ”authentic”-sounding, geezerish rock. So it comes as no huge surprise that their first-ever collaboration is a meeting of minds, or that the meeting takes place in the metaphorical vicinity of Bob Seger?s back porch. Seger actually turns up to play piano on the breezy Sheryl Crow duet ”Collide,” and the album is full of songs with a distinctly Seger-esque vibe, like the anthemic title track, the big-chorused ”Purple Sky,” and Kid Rock?s heartfelt tribute to his hometown of Detroit, ”Times Like These.” On the one occasion the album does nod to rap by featuring T.I. (alongside Martina McBride, oddly enough) on country shuffle ”Care,” the result makes for a jarring deviation. But for the most part, this is a crisp, hook-heavy collection of old-fashioned rock & roll. B
Born FreeBoth Kid Rock and Born Free producer Rick Rubin (Johnny Cash, the Dixie Chicks) established their reputations while straddling the worlds...Born FreeRockBoth Kid Rock and Born Free producer Rick Rubin (Johnny Cash, the Dixie Chicks) established their reputations while straddling the worlds...2010-11-10
SLOW HIS ROLL Kid Rock (Clay Patrick McBride)
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Kid Rock
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- Adrianne Palicki talks 'Agents of SHIELD' and Bobbi: 'a really interesting struggle for her'
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!