Basically a nifty VFX reel in search of a plot, Skyline follows a group of hard-bodied thirtysomethings (including Eric Balfour and Donald Faison, both of whom deserve better) trying to survive an alien invasion in L.A. They scream and bicker vacantly, but nobody’s buying a ticket to this movie to stare at a bunch of humans. The real stars are the descending swarm of tentacled brain-eaters that look like they were spawned at a cyborg seafood farm alongside the Cloverfield monster and District 9’s prawns. Independently produced and helmed by the FX-wizard brothers Colin and Greg Strause, Skyline confirms what D9 first proposed: Sci-fi spectacles are no longer the sole domain of the megabudget director. With just a modicum of money (reportedly around $10 million), the Strauses used their tech savvy to make a marvel of logistics that looks every bit as slick as a studio tentpole. It’s just a shame they haven’t figured out a way to CG a decent story. Yet. C+
A FLYING SAUCER? YOU MEAN THE KIND FROM UP THERE? Scottie Thompson and Eric Balfour try to stay covered in Skyline (Rogue)
Genre: Action/Adventure, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Eric Balfour, Donald Faison; Director: Colin Strause, Greg Strause; Release Date Wide: 11/12/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Universal, Universal Pictures
Posted November 12 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Adele's 'Carpool Karaoke' clip smashes YouTube records
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds remembers first date with Blake Lively
- Kanye West announces free livestream of Yeezy Season 3
- Waiting for new Harry Potter books, ranked
- Lee Majors to play Ash's dad on 'Ash vs Evil Dead'
- 'Gravity Falls' creator says a revival is 'not inconceivable'
- Adnan Syed is ‘more hopeful’ following post-conviction hearing
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday