In Monsters, the debut from Brit director Gareth Edwards, Mexico has been overrun by alien beasties due to a crashed NASA probe. Despite the film’s premise — and title — Monsters is really a road-movie romance that tracks the burgeoning relationship between two strangers as they travel through the ”infected” zone. The result impresses thanks to the lead actors’ performances and Edwards’ skilled efforts. But it should come with a warning: ”Here be (not many) monsters.” B+
BEHIND THE MASK Whitney Able flees alien invaders in Monsters
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Scoot McNairy; Release Date Limited: 10/29/2010; Release Date Wide: 10/29/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted November 17 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Nicolas Cage to star in parental thriller 'Mom and Dad'
- 'The Originals' boss on the casting change you may have missed
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on his acerbic antihero 'Deadpool'
- Universal wins film rights for 'Gone Girl' author's ghost story 'The Grownup'
- Julie's Diary: 'Vampire Diaries' boss breaks down Damon's big fight scene
- Inside Disneyland's magical Dream Suite
- Oscars 2016: Michael B. Jordan, Daisy Ridley, Cate Blanchett join presenters