Ann Beattie?s stories appeared in The New Yorker for 32 years, and most of the characters in them are people who would probably read The New Yorker. They are tin-toy yuppies, wound up by the countercultural revolution of the late ?60s and now shuffling about aimlessly, having picked up a few marriages and a summer house in Vermont over the decades. In The New Yorker Stories, Beattie captures the milieu perfectly through a vast cast of Sams and Davids and Karens, each afflicted with a nagging sense of loss even if they can?t articulate what, if anything, they have lost. The stories are in chronological order, tracking thee author?s evolution from a Raymond Carver-like minimalism to something more humanistic but no less subtle. Taken as a whole, they amount to an in-depth study of a subculture and a staggering almanac of emotions. A
The New Yorker Stories Ann Beattie?s stories appeared in The New Yorker for 32 years, and most of the characters in them are people who would probably read The New...The New Yorker StoriesShort StoriesAnn Beattie Ann Beattie?s stories appeared in The New Yorker for 32 years, and most of the characters in them are people who would probably read The New...2010-11-17Scribner
The New Yorker Stories by Ann Beattie
Genre: Short Stories; Author: Ann Beattie; Publisher: Scribner
Posted November 17 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- Josh Duggar: Eye on awkward joke in clip
- Rob Thomas returns with killer single 'Trust You,' shares details of new solo album
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Will Stannis make the sacrifice on 'Game of Thrones'?
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Can Tyrion be trusted on 'Game of Thrones'?
- Kim and Kanye: It's their 1st anniversary
- 'Winter Is Coming Live' recaps the latest 'Game of Thrones' episode, 'The Gift'
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!