The rising genre of the culinary rom-com — where sensually shot food is the real love interest — gets a so-so entry with this Indian-flavored indie. Co-writer and Daily Show-er Aasif Mandvi stars in Today’s Special as Samir, a driven NYC chef whose life starts coming together when he takes over his dad’s greasy spoon. The cooking scenes are fun, but Samir’s reawakening and romance with a co-worker (Jess Weixler) hold about as many surprises as a prix fixe meal. B-
HECK'S KITCHEN Aasif Mandvi takes over the family business in Today's Special
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Aasif Mandvi, Jess Weixler, Dean Winters; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Reliance Media Works
Posted November 17 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!