The rising genre of the culinary rom-com — where sensually shot food is the real love interest — gets a so-so entry with this Indian-flavored indie. Co-writer and Daily Show-er Aasif Mandvi stars in Today’s Special as Samir, a driven NYC chef whose life starts coming together when he takes over his dad’s greasy spoon. The cooking scenes are fun, but Samir’s reawakening and romance with a co-worker (Jess Weixler) hold about as many surprises as a prix fixe meal. B-
HECK'S KITCHEN Aasif Mandvi takes over the family business in Today's Special
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Aasif Mandvi, Jess Weixler, Dean Winters; Release Date Limited: 11/19/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Reliance Media Works
Posted November 17 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- WATCH: 'Arrow' EP teases a return to season 1-type villainy
- Revenant bear mauls Comic-Con: Adam Savage’s best costume yet?
- 'King Arthur' trailer shows new look at Charlie Hunnam's medieval hero
- Bill Cosby and Stewie remake 'Princess Bride' in 'Family Guy' trailer
- 'American Gods': First look at Gillian Anderson as Marilyn Monroe
- WATCH: 'Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Clark Gregg says Chloe 'swiped death'
- 'Family Guy' taps Kyle Chandler, Rob Gronkowski, David Tennant