The rising genre of the culinary rom-com — where sensually shot food is the real love interest — gets a so-so entry with this Indian-flavored indie. Co-writer and Daily Show-er Aasif Mandvi stars in Today’s Special as Samir, a driven NYC chef whose life starts coming together when he takes over his dad’s greasy spoon. The cooking scenes are fun, but Samir’s reawakening and romance with a co-worker (Jess Weixler) hold about as many surprises as a prix fixe meal. B-
HECK'S KITCHEN Aasif Mandvi takes over the family business in Today's Special
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Aasif Mandvi, Jess Weixler, Dean Winters; Release Date Limited: 11/19/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Reliance Media Works
Posted November 17 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Nashville' series finale cliffhanger: Could it help #BringBackNashville?
- Oprah: Acting is 'like a vacation from myself'
- Which Helena Bonham Carter character are you?
- Colin Farrell wanted to take Conan O'Brien to a Korean spa
- 'Peaky Blinders' picked up for two more seasons
- Stephen Colbert parodies Charlie Daniels' NRA ad
- Ralph Fiennes’ 'Richard III' to air live in movie theaters worldwide