Time Stands Still reopened in October at Broadway’s Cort Theatre, with Christina Ricci replacing Alicia Silverstone in the role of Mandy, the much-younger love interest of a New York photo editor played by Eric Bogosian (seen above with Ricci). “The show isn’t eligible if there’s a revival within three years,” explains Tony spokeswoman Shawn Purdy, “but any element within the show that the committee deems new is considered eligible.” (Purdy notes that there was a similar ruling last year for the new leads of the returning holiday musical White Christmas.) The season is still young, so it’s far too soon to say whether Ricci will succeed where Silverstone could not – especially since the play is now slated to close Jan. 30. Perhaps Ricci should consider reprising her role as Wednesday Addams in The Addams Family musical a few blocks away.In the latest sign that the Tony Awards don’t always make much sense, the Tony Awards Administration Committee ruled today that Time Stands Still costar Christina Ricci will be eligible for a Tony in Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Play this season. But since Donald Margulies’ four-person drama opened last January and had a three-month run at the nonprofit Manhattan Theatre Club’s Samuel J. Friedman Theatre, neither the show nor any of Ricci’s costars will be able to compete for Broadway’s biggest prize. (In its original production, the show earned two Tony nominations, including Best Play and Best Actress in a Play for Laura Linney.)
Posted December 9 2010 — 6:08 PM EST
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- Kanye's new album: 'So Help Me God'
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!