Time Stands Still reopened in October at Broadway’s Cort Theatre, with Christina Ricci replacing Alicia Silverstone in the role of Mandy, the much-younger love interest of a New York photo editor played by Eric Bogosian (seen above with Ricci). “The show isn’t eligible if there’s a revival within three years,” explains Tony spokeswoman Shawn Purdy, “but any element within the show that the committee deems new is considered eligible.” (Purdy notes that there was a similar ruling last year for the new leads of the returning holiday musical White Christmas.) The season is still young, so it’s far too soon to say whether Ricci will succeed where Silverstone could not – especially since the play is now slated to close Jan. 30. Perhaps Ricci should consider reprising her role as Wednesday Addams in The Addams Family musical a few blocks away.In the latest sign that the Tony Awards don’t always make much sense, the Tony Awards Administration Committee ruled today that Time Stands Still costar Christina Ricci will be eligible for a Tony in Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Play this season. But since Donald Margulies’ four-person drama opened last January and had a three-month run at the nonprofit Manhattan Theatre Club’s Samuel J. Friedman Theatre, neither the show nor any of Ricci’s costars will be able to compete for Broadway’s biggest prize. (In its original production, the show earned two Tony nominations, including Best Play and Best Actress in a Play for Laura Linney.)
Posted December 9 2010 — 6:08 PM EST
- First Listen: Ellen Pompeo on Meredith's shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' attack
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Luke's daughter, April, and Mrs. Kim are back for 'Gilmore Girls'
- Kevin Bacon has a creepy kid in the trailer for horror movie 'The Darkness'
- Russell Simmons, Tony Rock to present All Def Movie Awards
- Everything you missed from Kanye West's 'TLOP' premiere
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996