Time Stands Still reopened in October at Broadway’s Cort Theatre, with Christina Ricci replacing Alicia Silverstone in the role of Mandy, the much-younger love interest of a New York photo editor played by Eric Bogosian (seen above with Ricci). “The show isn’t eligible if there’s a revival within three years,” explains Tony spokeswoman Shawn Purdy, “but any element within the show that the committee deems new is considered eligible.” (Purdy notes that there was a similar ruling last year for the new leads of the returning holiday musical White Christmas.) The season is still young, so it’s far too soon to say whether Ricci will succeed where Silverstone could not – especially since the play is now slated to close Jan. 30. Perhaps Ricci should consider reprising her role as Wednesday Addams in The Addams Family musical a few blocks away.In the latest sign that the Tony Awards don’t always make much sense, the Tony Awards Administration Committee ruled today that Time Stands Still costar Christina Ricci will be eligible for a Tony in Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Play this season. But since Donald Margulies’ four-person drama opened last January and had a three-month run at the nonprofit Manhattan Theatre Club’s Samuel J. Friedman Theatre, neither the show nor any of Ricci’s costars will be able to compete for Broadway’s biggest prize. (In its original production, the show earned two Tony nominations, including Best Play and Best Actress in a Play for Laura Linney.)
Posted December 9 2010 — 6:08 PM EST
- Taylor Swift teases 'Wildest Dreams' video with pic of Scott Eastwood
- Andy Samberg provides Emmys hashtags #freepizza(no)
- Watch the MTV VMAs with EW's drinking game
- Fan theory suggests the Joker was hero of 'The Dark Knight'
- Everything Hannibal wore on 'Hannibal'
- Jeff Probst on the players he is surprised did not get voted into 'Survivor'
- Justin Timberlake and Jonathan Demme are making a 'space age music film'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!