Clued-in folk fans know this Nashville banjo whiz from her old band Uncle Earl (or perhaps from her marriage to bluegrass renegade Béla Fleck). Washburn?s new solo disc deserves a wider audience. Produced by Decemberists collaborator Tucker Martine, City of Refuge frames Washburn?s smoky-sexy vocals with lush string-band arrangements that make the occasional touch of Chinese zither seem natural. Think Norah Jones meets Nickel Creek. B+
Posted January 3 2011 — 12:00 AM EST
- Madonna fires back at BET after Twitter diss: 'I will shade you'
- Here's how Mindy Kaling pranked B.J. Novak on 'The Office'
- Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros host vow renewal at N.C. show
- Hugh Jackman congratulates class of 2016 with graduation throwback pic
- 'Kung Fury' director teases a sequel
- Stan Lee weighs in on the 'Captain America' Hydra twist
- Watch Lady Gaga ride with Mario Andretti at the Indianapolis 500
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers