The Hazards of Love, an overreaching 2009 rock opera, exposed a band in dire need of a fresh start. The Decemberists redeem themselves with their sixth LP, The King Is Dead, a 40-minute set that?s more succinctly rewarding than anything they?ve done in years. Partial credit belongs to two guests: Gillian Welch adds aching harmonies throughout, while R.E.M.?s Peter Buck helps three tracks reach a marriage of twang and jangle worthy of his main crew?s mid-?80s classics. A?
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- 'The Flash' trailer promises 'Arrow' crossovers, Reverse-Flash showdown
- David Letterman slams Indiana governor on 'Late Show'
- How Jamie Dornan prepared to play a serial killer on 'The Fall'
- 'Broadchurch' exclusive clip: The barristers have words
- Watch 'Barely Famous' stars Sara and Erin Foster pitch their series to the Kardashians and more
- Why Paige from 'The Americans' is TV's most progressive Christian
- 'Orphan Black' teaser promises clone-on-clone war
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!