Ulrik (Stellan Skarsgard), a car mechanic and proud grandfather-to-be, would qualify as entirely gentle except for a thing or two: He’s just out of prison for murder. And his crime boss expects him to resume his old ways. It takes a while for the wintry humor in A Somewhat Gentle Man, Hans Petter Moland’s deadpan Norwegian gangster comedy, to thaw: Every stunted, turnip-faced character is dressed for maximum drabness, and the only time the sky isn’t drily gray is when it’s wet with rain or snow. But Skarsgard’s utter finesse in the role provides a satisfying warmth. B
EX-CON Stellan Skarsgard is fresh out of prison in A Somewhat Gentle Man
Posted January 20 2011 — 12:00 AM EST
- Fifth Harmony rock out in a haunted hotel in 'I'm in Love With a Monster' video
- 'Bones' taps Betty White as new squintern
- Angelina Jolie Pitt's 'By the Sea' will open AFI Fest
- George R. R. Martin says Stannis is still alive — in the books
- Michelle Pfeiffer to play Bernie Madoff's wife in HBO's 'Wizard of Lies'
- Post-apocalyptic survivors tool up in exclusive clip from 'Turbo Kid'
- New 'Homeland' season 5 trailer: Carrie can't escape her past
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Alison & Will, Julianne Hough, Rafael Nadal & More!