Ulrik (Stellan Skarsgard), a car mechanic and proud grandfather-to-be, would qualify as entirely gentle except for a thing or two: He’s just out of prison for murder. And his crime boss expects him to resume his old ways. It takes a while for the wintry humor in A Somewhat Gentle Man, Hans Petter Moland’s deadpan Norwegian gangster comedy, to thaw: Every stunted, turnip-faced character is dressed for maximum drabness, and the only time the sky isn’t drily gray is when it’s wet with rain or snow. But Skarsgard’s utter finesse in the role provides a satisfying warmth. B
EX-CON Stellan Skarsgard is fresh out of prison in A Somewhat Gentle Man
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!