Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi is a New York Times best-selling author, which to many people signals the end of Western Civilization. But come on, Western Civilization arguably ended three times already: When the Roman Empire conquered Athens, when Shakespeare sold out and wrote the lame spin-off play The Merry Wives of Windsor (a.k.a. Henry IV Origins: Falstaff), and when Creed became a successful rock band. Snooki’s not on top of the best-seller list: She’s at number 24, behind Jonathan Franzen and Emma Donoghue. And who cares if Snooki did reach number one? It wouldn’t be the first terrible book to top the NYT best-seller list. (Cough cough!) And isn’t it just a little inspirational to think that a charming, semi-illiterate, perma-tanned elf with only the barest hint of self-awareness could actually become a minor literary success? Congratulations, Shnookums: You’re a true inspiration to writers everywhere, because if you can publish a successful book, anyone can. America!
Posted January 21 2011 — 12:50 PM EST
- See James Corden as Brad Pitt in 'Seven' for 'Inappropriate Musicals'
- Taylor Swift may take break after '1989' tour
- Kendrick Lamar announces eight-date tour
- Ellen Pompeo dings Daniel Craig over Bond comments
- EW turns 25: See the stars who wished us a happy birthday
- Joshua Malina & Scott Foley talk 'Paris Is Burning' in ‘Folina: A 'Scandal' Hangover Blog’
- Lena Dunham's mother was critical of her 'Scandal' performance