The new trailer for Soul Surfer – which EW is debuting exclusively – starts off like so many other sun-drenched surfing films: Lots of big waves, cute boys, upbeat soft rock, and a spunky teenager named Bethany Hamilton (AnnaSophia Robb, Bridge to Terebithia) with a gift for riding the monster Hawaiian surf. But anyone familiar with Bethany’s true story knows what comes next: A shark takes a liking to her left arm, derailing her promising surfing career before it really had a chance to begin. The trailer also features co-stars Helen Hunt and Dennis Quaid as Bethany’s parents, and country star Carrie Underwood in her feature film debut as a church youth group leader. But I’m most impressed with how boldly the trailer showcases Bethany’s missing arm – and the impressive visual-effects that made it seem like Robb went Method and had it removed for the role. Check out the trailer below:
Posted January 27 2011 — 9:00 AM EST
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson is everyone's favorite advisor in the new 'Ballers' trailer
- Nick Jonas, Hozier, Trey Songz to perform at iHeartRadio Music Festival
- Watch the 'Broad City' ladies chat in Larry Wilmore's 'Cool Millennial Hangout Area' on 'The Nightly Show'
- Brittany Snow, Erin Andrews to host 2015 CMT Music Awards
- Emma Stone explains how Bill Murray helped her on the set of 'Aloha'
- Joyce Carol Oates doesn't think Flannery O'Connor's stamp looks anything like her
- Kelly Clarkson is 'Invincible' in new music video