The new trailer for Soul Surfer – which EW is debuting exclusively – starts off like so many other sun-drenched surfing films: Lots of big waves, cute boys, upbeat soft rock, and a spunky teenager named Bethany Hamilton (AnnaSophia Robb, Bridge to Terebithia) with a gift for riding the monster Hawaiian surf. But anyone familiar with Bethany’s true story knows what comes next: A shark takes a liking to her left arm, derailing her promising surfing career before it really had a chance to begin. The trailer also features co-stars Helen Hunt and Dennis Quaid as Bethany’s parents, and country star Carrie Underwood in her feature film debut as a church youth group leader. But I’m most impressed with how boldly the trailer showcases Bethany’s missing arm – and the impressive visual-effects that made it seem like Robb went Method and had it removed for the role. Check out the trailer below:
Posted January 27 2011 — 9:00 AM EST
- 'Being Mary Jane' postmortem: Loretta Devine talks gender-bending role
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' star on that shocking casualty
- Jennifer Garner joins Bryan Cranston in 'Wakefield'
- 'Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce' season 2 premiere react: Abby gets schooled in divorce
- New 'X-Files' promo asks, 'Are we being lied to?'
- 'Real Housewives' star Yolanda Foster and music producer David Foster are divorcing
- Morrissey wins the award for the worst sex writing