The new trailer for Soul Surfer – which EW is debuting exclusively – starts off like so many other sun-drenched surfing films: Lots of big waves, cute boys, upbeat soft rock, and a spunky teenager named Bethany Hamilton (AnnaSophia Robb, Bridge to Terebithia) with a gift for riding the monster Hawaiian surf. But anyone familiar with Bethany’s true story knows what comes next: A shark takes a liking to her left arm, derailing her promising surfing career before it really had a chance to begin. The trailer also features co-stars Helen Hunt and Dennis Quaid as Bethany’s parents, and country star Carrie Underwood in her feature film debut as a church youth group leader. But I’m most impressed with how boldly the trailer showcases Bethany’s missing arm – and the impressive visual-effects that made it seem like Robb went Method and had it removed for the role. Check out the trailer below:
Posted January 27 2011 — 9:00 AM EST
- The Avett Brothers detail new single 'True Sadness'
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler on embracing the times she feels insecure
- 'Degrassi: Next Class': Get a first look at the big reunion
- Deathwatch 2016: Fall TV show survival odds
- Cyndi Lauper explains why she's not boycotting North Carolina
- Ariana Grande drops hot new song 'Into You'
- Seratones talk scuzzy debut: 'We have attitude problems'