The new trailer for Soul Surfer – which EW is debuting exclusively – starts off like so many other sun-drenched surfing films: Lots of big waves, cute boys, upbeat soft rock, and a spunky teenager named Bethany Hamilton (AnnaSophia Robb, Bridge to Terebithia) with a gift for riding the monster Hawaiian surf. But anyone familiar with Bethany’s true story knows what comes next: A shark takes a liking to her left arm, derailing her promising surfing career before it really had a chance to begin. The trailer also features co-stars Helen Hunt and Dennis Quaid as Bethany’s parents, and country star Carrie Underwood in her feature film debut as a church youth group leader. But I’m most impressed with how boldly the trailer showcases Bethany’s missing arm – and the impressive visual-effects that made it seem like Robb went Method and had it removed for the role. Check out the trailer below:
Posted January 27 2011 — 9:00 AM EST
- 'The Flash' boss teases state of Team Flash in season 2
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Derek Hough takes us behind the scenes before the show!
- Rush performs ‘Roll the Bones’ with a little help from their friends in 'R40 Live' concert film
- 'iZombie' taps Eddie Jemison as new villain
- Bjork is releasing an orchestral version of her last album 'Vulnicura'
- Nancy Drew series in the works from Grey's producers
- 'House of Lies' taps Wanda Sykes, Ken Marino for guest roles