The new trailer for Soul Surfer – which EW is debuting exclusively – starts off like so many other sun-drenched surfing films: Lots of big waves, cute boys, upbeat soft rock, and a spunky teenager named Bethany Hamilton (AnnaSophia Robb, Bridge to Terebithia) with a gift for riding the monster Hawaiian surf. But anyone familiar with Bethany’s true story knows what comes next: A shark takes a liking to her left arm, derailing her promising surfing career before it really had a chance to begin. The trailer also features co-stars Helen Hunt and Dennis Quaid as Bethany’s parents, and country star Carrie Underwood in her feature film debut as a church youth group leader. But I’m most impressed with how boldly the trailer showcases Bethany’s missing arm – and the impressive visual-effects that made it seem like Robb went Method and had it removed for the role. Check out the trailer below:
Posted January 18 2015 — 1:29 AM EST
- Joan Collins clarifies that she was not arrested: 'The very idea!'
- 'Game of Thrones' star Charles Dance talks 'Witcher 3: Wild Hunt'
- Courteney Cox is SO Monica while playing 'Friends' trivia on 'Ellen'
- Charli XCX and Bleachers announce tour
- 'Full House' revival: 17 burning questions we want the Netflix series to answer
- Lori Loughlin says she'd join 'Full House' reboot if money is 'fair'
- Neil Young plans album and tour with Willie Nelson's sons
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Reese & Sofia, Michael B. Jordan, Rebecca & Jerry and More!