A B movie in the best sense, Sanctum — executive-produced by James Cameron — is a lean, clearheaded 3-D thriller that knows exactly where it’s headed from the moment its adrenaline-junkie explorers dive into the world’s biggest cave in Papua, New Guinea. They think they’re in for some extreme spelunking; we know they’re about to get knocked off one by one as a storm turns the cave into a waterlogged death trap. The extraneous bickering between our teen hero (Rhys Wakefield) and his tyrannical dad (Richard Roxburgh) flops, but character development isn’t the movie’s strong point. Momentum is. As we go deeper into the cave, walls squeezing, water rising, the movie has a narrative pull as sure as gravity. B
DEEP TROUBLE Rhys Wakefield and Richard Roxburgh take a dive in Sanctum (Jasin Boland)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Christopher Baker, Allison Cratchley, Rhys Wakefield, Ioan Gruffudd, Alice Parkinson, Richard Roxburgh; Director: Alister Grierson; Author: John Garvin, Andrew Wight; Release Date Wide: 02/04/2011; Distributor: Universal
Posted February 4 2011 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!