excited and scared. After all, the original “Ron & Tammy” – which aired near the beginning of Season 2 – was damn near perfect. In fact, I can say with complete certainty that it was the episode that made me fall truly, madly, deeply in love with Parks and Recreation. Sure, I couldn’t wait to see Megan Mullally reprise her role as Tammy Swanson, a woman Ron has variously described as “a grade-A bitch,” “the eye of Satan’s butt-hole,” and a machine “programmed by someone from the future to come back and destroy all happiness.” But how could her second appearance possibly live up to her first?When I found out that tonight’s episode of Parks and Recreation was called “Ron & Tammy: Part Two,” I felt a lot like Little Red Riding Hood:
As it turns out, my worries were completely misplaced. “Ron & Tammy: Part Two” gave Parks and Rec fans everything they could hope for and more: Tammy sexily slapping herself in the face with a piece of beef jerky, present-Ron watching a video of past-Ron explaining what to do now that he’s fallen into his ex-wife’s clutches again, hilariously disgusting foreplay, and the drunken, impulsive wedding to end all drunken, impulsive weddings.
And though the Ron/Tammy (Ton? Rammy? Trammy?) shenanigans were clearly the center of the episode, other characters also got a few moments to shine tonight. I howled at the running gag about calzones being the worst food ever invented – Leslie clearly wasn’t totally kidding at the end of the half hour, when she angrily reminded Ben why they’re terrible – and I think juxtaposing April’s utter apathy with Chris’s boundless enthusiasm was a smart move. Hopefully, these two will get more scenes together… provided Burt Macklin, F.B.I. doesn’t tear them apart again. I was also tickled to be reminded again of just how good Leslie is at her job; her insane competence is one of the things I love most about Parks and Rec.
Now, on to highlights, quotes, and discussion questions:
- Tonight’s most-GIFable moment: Tom and Tammy dirty dancing. Internet, you served me well the last time I asked for a GIF – if you feel like capturing this incredible scene, please leave a link in the comments.
- Ron’s reaction when Wendy suggests moving to Canada: priceless.
- Ben: “You know what I like? Calzones.” Police Chief: “What the hell is wrong with this guy?”
- “Sounds like it was Macklin’s call.”
- And speaking of April and Andy, you should know that Aubrey Plaza is guest-starring again on this week’s episode of Portlandia (the funniest show you might not be watching). Watch a clip of her sketch at IFC.
- One more related question: Who would win in a fight between Burt Macklin, F.B.I. and Andy Radical?
- Leslie’s response when Ben asks if she wants to grab a bite: “You know, yeah! There’s a really great calzone place… over in Idiotville… down by Terrible Idea Avenue.”
- “I don’t want him within 500 feet of the library.” “That’s good advice for all of us.”
- This episode got me thinking about Ron’s other ex-wife, whose name also happens to be Tammy. Who would you like to see play her in a future episode?
-Do any of you want to try and defend calzones in the comments?