The body of a raped schoolgirl who has killed herself floats downriver at the start of this exquisite Korean drama (Poetry) by Secret Sunshine’s Lee Chang-dong. Meanwhile, a pensioner (treasured Korean star Yun Jung-hee, extraordinary) raises her sullen grandson alone — a teen implicated in the girl’s death. Facing a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s, the older woman enrolls in a poetry class, desperate to find the words to describe beauty before language fails her. She does even better: She herself becomes a kind of poem about what it means to really see the world. A
FINDING WORDS Yun Jung-hee reads to remember in Poetry
Genre: Drama, Foreign Language; Starring: Yun Jung-hee; Director: Chang-dong Lee; Release Date Limited: 01/28/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 149; Distributor: Kino International
Posted February 16 2011 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Being Mary Jane' postmortem: Loretta Devine talks gender-bending role
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' star on that shocking casualty
- Jennifer Garner joins Bryan Cranston in 'Wakefield'
- 'Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce' season 2 premiere react: Abby gets schooled in divorce
- New 'X-Files' promo asks, 'Are we being lied to?'
- 'Real Housewives' star Yolanda Foster and music producer David Foster are divorcing
- Morrissey wins the award for the worst sex writing