There’s no point explaining the flimsy buddy-com clichés that force an FBI agent (Martin Lawrence) and his son (Brandon Jackson) to go undercover at an all-girls art school in Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son, a follow-up to 2000’s Big Momma’s House and 2006’s Big Momma’s House 2. It’s all an openly lame excuse for Lawrence to hop back into the eye-assaulting muumuus of his alter ego Big Momma, a wheezing, overripe hybrid of a Southern dumb-belle and a Julia Child drag impersonator. The trouble is, once the movie drops its cop-drama trappings, it doesn’t do any better as a comedy. Lawrence’s gender-bending jokes are played out, and his slapstick is wooden and slow. It’s understandable: Clowning around underneath that fat suit must be exhausting. Almost as much as watching it. D+
FATSUIT DRAG Brandon T. Jackson and Martin Lawrence in Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son (John P. Johnson)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Brandon T. Jackson, Martin Lawrence, Max Casella, Portia Doubleday, Faizon Love, Ana Ortiz; Director: John Whitesell; Author: Matthew Fogel; Release Date Wide: 02/18/2011; Status: In Season; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted February 18 2011 — 12:00 AM EST
- Patrick Stewart really, really wants to join Taylor Swift’s squad
- 'Fantastic Four' cast says they still haven't seen the film
- Candace Cameron Bure shares new 'Fuller House' photo
- 'Deadpool' red band trailer to officially debut Tuesday on 'Conan'
- Dave Grohl responds in Italian to 1,000 fans who covered ‘Learn to Fly’
- Someone cut together 280 movies for an epic 'Uptown Funk' cover
- Box office report: ‘Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation,’ 'Vacation'
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!