In this stunningly bad riff on Beauty and the Beast, a cocky NYC high schooler (Alex Pettyfer) is turned into a tattooed eyesore by a vengeful teen witch (Mary-Kate Olsen) who gives him one year to break the spell by wooing a classmate (Vanessa Hudgens). Spectacularly poor judgment in everything from acting to costuming (Olsen’s Harajuku-troll get-up is scarier than her curse) puts Beastly right on the cusp of the so-bad-it’s-good Hall of Shame. So here’s a litmus test: If you’re tickled by the prospect of hearing our heroine squeal at her beast, “You come near me, I taser your a–,” then fill up your tomato bag and buy a ticket. Otherwise, consider the movie’s title a rare case of truth in advertising. D-
CURSE ON YOU Mary-Kate Olsen bewitching in Beastly (Takashi Seida)
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Romance; Starring: Vanessa Hudgens, Alex Pettyfer, Mary-Kate Olsen; Director: Daniel Barnz; Author: Daniel Barnz, Alex Flinn; Release Date Wide: 03/04/2011; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: CBS Films
Posted March 8 2011 — 12:00 AM EST
- David Milch read Kim Dickens 'amazing' new 'Deadwood' scenes
- 'The Simpsons': Jason Alexander to guest in Trump-tweaking episode
- Laurie Hernandez's dad used to joke about her competing on 'DWTS'
- Stephen Colbert does his best Beyoncé in ridiculous VMAs parody
- 'Pretty Little Liars' poll: Who will die in the summer finale?
- How Kiiara struck 'Gold' with an unlikely pop smash
- Bitch Sesh: Casey Wilson, Danielle Schneider love these podcasts