In this stunningly bad riff on Beauty and the Beast, a cocky NYC high schooler (Alex Pettyfer) is turned into a tattooed eyesore by a vengeful teen witch (Mary-Kate Olsen) who gives him one year to break the spell by wooing a classmate (Vanessa Hudgens). Spectacularly poor judgment in everything from acting to costuming (Olsen’s Harajuku-troll get-up is scarier than her curse) puts Beastly right on the cusp of the so-bad-it’s-good Hall of Shame. So here’s a litmus test: If you’re tickled by the prospect of hearing our heroine squeal at her beast, “You come near me, I taser your a–,” then fill up your tomato bag and buy a ticket. Otherwise, consider the movie’s title a rare case of truth in advertising. D-
CURSE ON YOU Mary-Kate Olsen bewitching in Beastly (Takashi Seida)
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Romance; Starring: Vanessa Hudgens, Alex Pettyfer, Mary-Kate Olsen; Director: Daniel Barnz; Author: Daniel Barnz, Alex Flinn; Release Date Wide: 03/04/2011; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: CBS Films
Posted March 8 2011 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!