Abbas Kiarostami’s deft conversational drama (Certified Copy) has the appeal of a middle-aged Before Sunrise. In Tuscany, an ? English art historian (William Shimell) spends a long, rambling day with a Frenchwoman (Juliette Binoche) who came to hear him lecture. Then an enchantingly odd thing happens: The two start to pretend they know each other…and suddenly the playacting turns real. They do know each other, and the movie, like an art-house Vertigo, passes through a looking glass. The end will haunt you. (Also available on cable via on demand) A?
LUMINOUS BEAUTY Juliette Binoche in Certified Copy (Laurent Thurin Nal)
Genre: Romance, Drama; Starring: Juliette Binoche, Jean-Claude Carriere, William Shimell; Director: Abbas Kiarostami; Author: Abbas Kiarostami; Runtime (in minutes): 106
Posted March 10 2011 — 12:00 AM EST
- Look, but don't retouch? Female celeb photo debate
- Margot Robbie's 'Focus' audition, a.k.a. 'the craziest 24 hours of my life'
- 'Focus' is weekend's No. 1 movie; 'Fifty Shades of Grey' drops to No. 4
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- Kanye's new album: 'So Help Me God'
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set