”They took me in my nightgown.” So begins Between Shades of Gray, Sepetys’ stirring tale of 15-year-old Lina, a Lithuanian girl deported to a Siberian work camp in 1941. Shoved into the same boxcar are her 10-year-old brother, her marvelously elegant mother — the most fully alive of the characters — and a horde of terrified neighbors. Lina, a promising art student, uses her drawings to document their brutal experience and relay messages to her father’s prison camp. Sepetys’ debut novel may lack the oomph of The Book Thief, but brave Lina is a heroine young and old readers can believe in. B
Between Shades of Gray''They took me in my nightgown.'' So begins Between Shades of Gray, Sepetys' stirring tale of 15-year-old Lina, a Lithuanian girl deported...Between Shades of GrayYoung AdultRuta Sepetys''They took me in my nightgown.'' So begins Between Shades of Gray, Sepetys' stirring tale of 15-year-old Lina, a Lithuanian girl deported...2011-03-16Philomel
THE GRAY LADY Ruta Sepetys's debut novel
Genre: Young Adult; Author: Ruta Sepetys; Publisher: Philomel
Posted March 16 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- NBC reviving Coach with Craig T. Nelson
- '12 Monkeys' boss answers some burning questions
- 'The Founder' starring Michael Keaton gets November 2016 release
- 'American Idol' guest mentor Boy George picks the frontrunners of the Top 9
- Sherlock creator: Making U.S. fans wait longer is 'bloody nonsense'
- Marvel changes the Avengers lineup, adding Ms. Marvel and Miles Morales
- One Direction address Zayn Malik's exit: 'It's far from over'
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!