”They took me in my nightgown.” So begins Between Shades of Gray, Sepetys’ stirring tale of 15-year-old Lina, a Lithuanian girl deported to a Siberian work camp in 1941. Shoved into the same boxcar are her 10-year-old brother, her marvelously elegant mother — the most fully alive of the characters — and a horde of terrified neighbors. Lina, a promising art student, uses her drawings to document their brutal experience and relay messages to her father’s prison camp. Sepetys’ debut novel may lack the oomph of The Book Thief, but brave Lina is a heroine young and old readers can believe in. B
Between Shades of Gray''They took me in my nightgown.'' So begins Between Shades of Gray, Sepetys' stirring tale of 15-year-old Lina, a Lithuanian girl deported...Between Shades of GrayYoung AdultRuta Sepetys''They took me in my nightgown.'' So begins Between Shades of Gray, Sepetys' stirring tale of 15-year-old Lina, a Lithuanian girl deported...2011-03-16Philomel
THE GRAY LADY Ruta Sepetys's debut novel
Genre: Young Adult; Author: Ruta Sepetys; Status: In Season; Publisher: Philomel
Posted March 16 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters