”They took me in my nightgown.” So begins Between Shades of Gray, Sepetys’ stirring tale of 15-year-old Lina, a Lithuanian girl deported to a Siberian work camp in 1941. Shoved into the same boxcar are her 10-year-old brother, her marvelously elegant mother — the most fully alive of the characters — and a horde of terrified neighbors. Lina, a promising art student, uses her drawings to document their brutal experience and relay messages to her father’s prison camp. Sepetys’ debut novel may lack the oomph of The Book Thief, but brave Lina is a heroine young and old readers can believe in. B
Between Shades of Gray''They took me in my nightgown.'' So begins Between Shades of Gray, Sepetys' stirring tale of 15-year-old Lina, a Lithuanian girl deported...Between Shades of GrayYoung AdultRuta Sepetys''They took me in my nightgown.'' So begins Between Shades of Gray, Sepetys' stirring tale of 15-year-old Lina, a Lithuanian girl deported...2011-03-16Philomel
THE GRAY LADY Ruta Sepetys's debut novel
Genre: Young Adult; Author: Ruta Sepetys; Publisher: Philomel
Posted March 16 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Daniel Radcliffe says he was 'not wanking' on set of 'Harry Potter'
- Matthew Weiner will direct an episode of 'Orange is the New Black'
- Deathwatch Winter TV Survival Odds
- M.I.A. follows group of refugees in powerful 'Borders' video
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'The Flash,' 'HTGAWM,' 'Arrow,' and more
- Ridley Scott reveals how 'Alien: Covenant' will connect to 'Alien'
- J.K. Rowling explains why Harry Potter named his son after Snape