Just how funny is Conan O’Brien? Only a few seconds into the March 13 world premiere of Rodman Flender’s documentary Conan O’Brien Can’t Stop, the South by Southwest festival audience was howling. The love kept on coming with a standing ovation when Flender and O’Brien took the stage afterward for a rousing Q&A. It’s no surprise, then, that within 24 hours of the premiere, the film landed a multiplatform distribution deal with Abramorama, Magnolia Home Entertainment, and AT&T’s U-verse subscription TV service. The doc follows the disgruntled former Tonight Show host as he channels his anger (”Sometimes I’m so mad I can’t even breathe,” he admits) into last summer’s 32-city Legally Prohibited From Being Funny on Television Tour. Throughout the movie, O’Brien is raw, honest, and always hysterical, even when his targets are the members of his devoted staff. He punches a writer repeatedly in the shin; he requires his assistant to talk into a banana phone when she wants to speak. ”After he saw the first cut of the movie,” Flender tells EW, ”he said, ‘I feel like an alcoholic who now has to go apologize to people.”’
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!