Just how funny is Conan O’Brien? Only a few seconds into the March 13 world premiere of Rodman Flender’s documentary Conan O’Brien Can’t Stop, the South by Southwest festival audience was howling. The love kept on coming with a standing ovation when Flender and O’Brien took the stage afterward for a rousing Q&A. It’s no surprise, then, that within 24 hours of the premiere, the film landed a multiplatform distribution deal with Abramorama, Magnolia Home Entertainment, and AT&T’s U-verse subscription TV service. The doc follows the disgruntled former Tonight Show host as he channels his anger (”Sometimes I’m so mad I can’t even breathe,” he admits) into last summer’s 32-city Legally Prohibited From Being Funny on Television Tour. Throughout the movie, O’Brien is raw, honest, and always hysterical, even when his targets are the members of his devoted staff. He punches a writer repeatedly in the shin; he requires his assistant to talk into a banana phone when she wants to speak. ”After he saw the first cut of the movie,” Flender tells EW, ”he said, ‘I feel like an alcoholic who now has to go apologize to people.”’
Posted March 18 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Max Greenfield will check in to 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Josh Duggar: Eye on awkward joke in clip
- Rob Thomas returns with killer single 'Trust You,' shares details of new solo album
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Will Stannis make the sacrifice on 'Game of Thrones'?
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Can Tyrion be trusted on 'Game of Thrones'?
- Kim and Kanye: It's their 1st anniversary
- 'Winter Is Coming Live' recaps the latest 'Game of Thrones' episode, 'The Gift'
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!