Just how funny is Conan O’Brien? Only a few seconds into the March 13 world premiere of Rodman Flender’s documentary Conan O’Brien Can’t Stop, the South by Southwest festival audience was howling. The love kept on coming with a standing ovation when Flender and O’Brien took the stage afterward for a rousing Q&A. It’s no surprise, then, that within 24 hours of the premiere, the film landed a multiplatform distribution deal with Abramorama, Magnolia Home Entertainment, and AT&T’s U-verse subscription TV service. The doc follows the disgruntled former Tonight Show host as he channels his anger (”Sometimes I’m so mad I can’t even breathe,” he admits) into last summer’s 32-city Legally Prohibited From Being Funny on Television Tour. Throughout the movie, O’Brien is raw, honest, and always hysterical, even when his targets are the members of his devoted staff. He punches a writer repeatedly in the shin; he requires his assistant to talk into a banana phone when she wants to speak. ”After he saw the first cut of the movie,” Flender tells EW, ”he said, ‘I feel like an alcoholic who now has to go apologize to people.”’
Posted March 18 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!