After his first record deal with Warner Bros. fizzled nearly two years ago, many counted Wiz Khalifa out. But the rapper with the Fran Drescher chortle got revenge and then some with his smash, ”Black and Yellow.” The Pittsburgher’s debut on Atlantic is lyrically limited to getting high, stealing chicks, and blowing cash. (Then again, what would you rap about if you were young and new to affluence?) Yet it burns with an underdog’s passion and a champion’s spite. ”Used to not be allowed in the building/But now we’re on the rooftop,” he spits with pride on ”Rooftops.” Although the sentiment is echoed often on cuts like ”Star of the Show,” it never loses punch. Wiz’s sound falls somewhere between two of his weed-burning peers — more jovial than Kid Cudi’s lonelystoner cuts and more cohesive than Snoop Dogg’s recent offerings. Marijuana may not be legal, but Rolling Papers surely will be enjoyed and passed around among Wiz’s fans. B+
Rolling PapersAfter his first record deal with Warner Bros. fizzled nearly two years ago, many counted Wiz Khalifa out. But the rapper with the Fran Drescher chortle...Rolling PapersHip-Hop/RapAfter his first record deal with Warner Bros. fizzled nearly two years ago, many counted Wiz Khalifa out. But the rapper with the Fran Drescher chortle...2011-03-23
HIGH SOCIETY Wiz Khalifa (Scott Gries/PictureGroup)
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: Wiz Khalifa; Music Label: Atlantic
Posted March 23 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Katharine McPhee drops catchy comeback single 'Lick My Lips'
- Kanye's anniversary tweet to Kim was super romantic
- Rumer Willis looks exactly like Demi Moore in new Instagram pic
- Robyn hints at new music with keyboardist Markus Jägerstedt
- Demi Lovato, Nick Jonas, and manager Phil McIntyre team up for Safehouse Records
- Twitter loved Amy Schumer on 'The Bachelorette'
- Beach House announces new album and tour
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- George & Amal, Prince Harry, Ansel Elgort & More!