It has been 15 years since Duke Nukem 3D injected the first-person shooter genre with a sense of humor and ambient nudity. In that time, empires have fallen, technology has evolved from “charmingly analog” to “dystopically digital,” eight Harry Potter movies have been made, and an entire generation of young gamers has grown up screaming epithets at their friends while playing Call of Duty. And, for 15 years, the sequel to Duke Nukem has been perpetually delayed, weathering the loss of several creative teams, the closure of its developer, a lawsuit, and possibly a plague of locusts. Nukem fans have come to accept the delays with a Waiting for Godot-like cynical patience. But this is just ridiculous. In a new video, Randy Pitchford, president of Forever’s current developer Gearbox Studios, jauntily proclaims that there is absolutely no way Duke Nukem Forever will be delayed from its current May 3 perch. And then it gets delayed. Points for trying to make a joke out of this, but the forced jollity just comes off as weirdly rude, as if the developers are saying, “Suck on that, gamers!” Sometimes, it really is better to just send out a press release. Check out the video after the jump…
Posted March 24 2011 — 11:16 AM EDT
- Casting Net: M. Night Shyamalan's new supernatural thriller adds four actors
- 'Chicago Fire' recap: 'Let it Burn'
- Top 5 'Muppets' moments from 'Pig Out'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' EP to produce 'Famous in Love' drama pilot starring Bella Thorne
- 'Arrow' actor Neal McDonough on bringing megalomaniac Damien Darhk to life
- Lamar Odom hospitalized in Las Vegas after he was found unconscious at brothel
- E! is going to spin off 'Botched'
- 12 Instagram Photos of Pitbull Hanging Out with Celebrities
- 25 Unforgettable Dresses From the Past 25 Years
- Box Office Flops: 19 Notorious Opening Weekends
- EW's 25 Best Movies in 25 Years
- EW Reunions: Bonus portraits of your favorite TV and movie casts
- 'The Walking Dead': 15 Exclusive Storyboard Illustrations From Season 6