It has been 15 years since Duke Nukem 3D injected the first-person shooter genre with a sense of humor and ambient nudity. In that time, empires have fallen, technology has evolved from “charmingly analog” to “dystopically digital,” eight Harry Potter movies have been made, and an entire generation of young gamers has grown up screaming epithets at their friends while playing Call of Duty. And, for 15 years, the sequel to Duke Nukem has been perpetually delayed, weathering the loss of several creative teams, the closure of its developer, a lawsuit, and possibly a plague of locusts. Nukem fans have come to accept the delays with a Waiting for Godot-like cynical patience. But this is just ridiculous. In a new video, Randy Pitchford, president of Forever’s current developer Gearbox Studios, jauntily proclaims that there is absolutely no way Duke Nukem Forever will be delayed from its current May 3 perch. And then it gets delayed. Points for trying to make a joke out of this, but the forced jollity just comes off as weirdly rude, as if the developers are saying, “Suck on that, gamers!” Sometimes, it really is better to just send out a press release. Check out the video after the jump…
Posted March 24 2011 — 11:16 AM EDT
- First Listen: Ellen Pompeo on Meredith's shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' attack
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Luke's daughter, April, and Mrs. Kim are back for 'Gilmore Girls'
- Kevin Bacon has a creepy kid in the trailer for horror movie 'The Darkness'
- Russell Simmons, Tony Rock to present All Def Movie Awards
- Everything you missed from Kanye West's 'TLOP' premiere
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996