Please Look After Mom — a sensation in South Korea, where it sold a million copies — is the story of a family splintered by the loss of matriarch So-nyo, an illiterate farm wife who vanishes in a packed Seoul subway station. The novel unspools from the viewpoints of her eldest daughter, her eldest son (and favorite child), her abusive husband, and, finally, So-nyo herself. The picture that emerges, of an unappreciated mother who sacrificed her life for her family, is a tediously familiar one. But despite the stock characters — and Shin’s regrettable forays into pathos — the story somehow works, redeemed by the resolute So-nyo of the last chapters, a woman her husband and children never knew. B
Please Look After MomPlease Look After Mom — a sensation in South Korea, where it sold a million copies — is the story of a family splintered by the...Please Look After MomFictionKyung-Sook ShinPlease Look After Mom — a sensation in South Korea, where it sold a million copies — is the story of a family splintered by the...2011-03-30Knopf
FROM KOREA WITH LOVE Please Look After Mom, by Kyung-Sook Shin
Genre: Fiction; Author: Kyung-Sook Shin; Publisher: Knopf
Posted March 30 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Robyn announces secret project
- Demi Lovato, Nick Jonas, and manager Phil McIntyre team up for Safehouse Records
- Twitter loved Amy Schumer on 'The Bachelorette'
- Beach House announces new album and tour
- Big Sean and Rick Ross join Future's 'F--- Up Some Commas' remix
- Watch Liam from One Direction sing 14 seconds of 'Wonderwall'
- A first look at the inaugural issue of Rosy Press' Fresh Romance -- exclusive
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- George & Amal, Prince Harry, Ansel Elgort & More!