Please Look After Mom — a sensation in South Korea, where it sold a million copies — is the story of a family splintered by the loss of matriarch So-nyo, an illiterate farm wife who vanishes in a packed Seoul subway station. The novel unspools from the viewpoints of her eldest daughter, her eldest son (and favorite child), her abusive husband, and, finally, So-nyo herself. The picture that emerges, of an unappreciated mother who sacrificed her life for her family, is a tediously familiar one. But despite the stock characters — and Shin’s regrettable forays into pathos — the story somehow works, redeemed by the resolute So-nyo of the last chapters, a woman her husband and children never knew. B
Please Look After MomPlease Look After Mom — a sensation in South Korea, where it sold a million copies — is the story of a family splintered by the...Please Look After MomFictionKyung-Sook ShinPlease Look After Mom — a sensation in South Korea, where it sold a million copies — is the story of a family splintered by the...2011-03-30Knopf
FROM KOREA WITH LOVE Please Look After Mom, by Kyung-Sook Shin
Genre: Fiction; Author: Kyung-Sook Shin; Publisher: Knopf
Posted March 30 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Beyoncé used New Orleans documentary footage 'with permission' in new 'Formation' video: rep
- Larry David hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Listen to Chrisette Michele's a cappella cover of Adele's 'Hello'
- 'Zoolander 2' tries to recreate the magic of Magnum in new clip
- Tony Goldwyn teases Fitz's state of mind in 'Scandal' return
- Lady Gaga says Super Bowl performance is one of the highest honors
- Beyonce surprises with powerful new single, 'Formation'