Please Look After Mom — a sensation in South Korea, where it sold a million copies — is the story of a family splintered by the loss of matriarch So-nyo, an illiterate farm wife who vanishes in a packed Seoul subway station. The novel unspools from the viewpoints of her eldest daughter, her eldest son (and favorite child), her abusive husband, and, finally, So-nyo herself. The picture that emerges, of an unappreciated mother who sacrificed her life for her family, is a tediously familiar one. But despite the stock characters — and Shin’s regrettable forays into pathos — the story somehow works, redeemed by the resolute So-nyo of the last chapters, a woman her husband and children never knew. B
Please Look After MomPlease Look After Mom — a sensation in South Korea, where it sold a million copies — is the story of a family splintered by the...Please Look After MomFictionKyung-Sook ShinPlease Look After Mom — a sensation in South Korea, where it sold a million copies — is the story of a family splintered by the...2011-03-30Knopf
FROM KOREA WITH LOVE Please Look After Mom, by Kyung-Sook Shin
Genre: Fiction; Author: Kyung-Sook Shin; Publisher: Knopf
Posted March 30 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- John Legend to play Frederick Douglass on 'Underground'
- 'Madam Secretary' boss previews twist-filled election storyline
- 'Twin Peaks' has a familiar-sounding treat for fans
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Vampire Diaries,' 'The Flash,' 'H50' & more
- New York Film Festival: 10 essential movies and events to catch
- Meet the Justice Society of America in new 'Legends of Tomorrow' pics
- Meet Tori Anderson, the daredevil breakout star of 'No Tomorrow'