Please Look After Mom — a sensation in South Korea, where it sold a million copies — is the story of a family splintered by the loss of matriarch So-nyo, an illiterate farm wife who vanishes in a packed Seoul subway station. The novel unspools from the viewpoints of her eldest daughter, her eldest son (and favorite child), her abusive husband, and, finally, So-nyo herself. The picture that emerges, of an unappreciated mother who sacrificed her life for her family, is a tediously familiar one. But despite the stock characters — and Shin’s regrettable forays into pathos — the story somehow works, redeemed by the resolute So-nyo of the last chapters, a woman her husband and children never knew. B
Please Look After MomPlease Look After Mom — a sensation in South Korea, where it sold a million copies — is the story of a family splintered by the...Please Look After MomFictionKyung-Sook ShinPlease Look After Mom — a sensation in South Korea, where it sold a million copies — is the story of a family splintered by the...2011-03-30Knopf
FROM KOREA WITH LOVE Please Look After Mom, by Kyung-Sook Shin
Genre: Fiction; Author: Kyung-Sook Shin; Publisher: Knopf
Posted March 30 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Gabourey Sidibe blogs the latest episode of 'Empire,' 'Fires of Heaven'
- The 'Felicity' Love Triangle: Did she make the right choice?
- Great night for 'Arrow,' but 'Empire' is still king
- John Boyega on playing a black Stormtrooper: The backlash was 'unnecessary'
- Ralph Bakshi's 'Last Days of Coney Island' to premiere on Vimeo
- 'The Walking Dead' director Greg Nicotero previews the 'explosive' season premiere
- Blake Shelton announces 11-city 2016 tour