Dave Franco is going back to school – but not to pursue a Ph.D in literature like his multi-tasking older brother, James. EW has confirmed that the younger Franco is joining the big-screen reboot of the 1980s TV series 21 Jump Street, playing a popular high school student who also happens to be a villainous drug dealer. Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum are set to co-star in the movie as narcotics officers who go undercover as teenagers in a high school. Rumors have circulated for a long time that Johnny Depp, who was vaulted to teen idoldom on the original 21 Jump Street, might make a cameo in the movie, which begins shooting later this month. Last year, Depp told EW he was open to the idea: ”I’m hoping they’ll let me do a cameo,” he said, adding with a laugh, “Someone will say, ‘Whatever happened to Tom Hanson?’ and they’ll find me somewhere hoarding jars of peanut butter and shaking in my underpants.” But while a source close to the production says they would love the rumors to be true – and, according to Deadline, a day has been set aside in the production schedule for a potential Depp cameo – there’s still no official word on whether it will actually happen, with or without the peanut butter.
(Bob Charlotte/PR Photos)
Posted April 8 2011 — 4:21 PM EDT
- 'Aquaman' movie lands fall 2018 release date
- Lauren Graham says she may not watch the 'Gilmore Girls' revival
- Terry Crews, Dave Coulier, Shaq design ugly Christmas sweaters
- See Jennifer Lawrence's seventh grade yearbook superlative
- Get a sneak peek at this week's 'RWBY': Exclusive clip
- 'Return of the Living Dead' star Don Calfa dies at 76
- Highlights from J.K. Rowling's 'Fantastic Beasts' screenplay
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big