Today, Lionsgate and The Hunger Games team announced that newcomer Willow Shields will star as Primrose Everdeen in the movie adaptation. The New Mexican native will play Katniss’ beloved younger sister, for whom Katniss sacrifices herself. (It is sweet Prim who’s initially called to represent their District 12 in the annual televised fight-to-the-death.) “It’s so exciting to find an amazing young actress like the one we just met,” director Gary Ross said in a statement about the casting. “Prim is an emotionally demanding role and in many ways she is the cornerstone of the story. Willow Shields will make an amazing Prim and we’re very lucky to have her.” Lionsgate will release The Hunger Games on March 23, 2012.
Posted January 18 2015 — 3:37 AM EST
- 'Comedy Bang! Bang!' trailer teases Reggie Watts' farewell
- 'Grey's Anatomy' sneak peek shows more of what happened to Derek
- Dave Grohl and Nick Oliveri's supergroup to release LP
- See the first photo of Johnny Depp in 'Pirates of the Caribbean 5'
- Go behind the scenes of 'Guitar Hero Live'
- Nintendo releasing 'Splatoon' Wii U bundle
- De La Soul drops throwback
- ACM Awards 2015: We grade 19 full performances
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- Reese & Sofia, Michael B. Jordan, Rebecca & Jerry and More!