Today, Lionsgate and The Hunger Games team announced that newcomer Willow Shields will star as Primrose Everdeen in the movie adaptation. The New Mexican native will play Katniss’ beloved younger sister, for whom Katniss sacrifices herself. (It is sweet Prim who’s initially called to represent their District 12 in the annual televised fight-to-the-death.) “It’s so exciting to find an amazing young actress like the one we just met,” director Gary Ross said in a statement about the casting. “Prim is an emotionally demanding role and in many ways she is the cornerstone of the story. Willow Shields will make an amazing Prim and we’re very lucky to have her.” Lionsgate will release The Hunger Games on March 23, 2012.
Posted April 20 2011 — 2:01 PM EDT
- See the new trailer for 'The Good Dinosaur'
- 'Fresh Off the Boat' writer teases Shaq's upcoming guest appearance
- Bindi Irwin performs emotional 'DWTS' tribute to late father Steve Irwin
- The Cure announce 25-date North American tour
- Jessica Williams discusses gun violence during blistering 'Daily Show' segment
- You can get a master's degree in David Lynch filmmaking
- Instagram turns 5! Can you guess the stars' first photo?