Paula Malcomson has officially been cast as the mother of Katniss and Prim Everdeen in The Hunger Games, according to a press release from Lionsgate. The widowed and down-trodden Mrs. Everdeen – a victim of the totalitarian government of Games’ dystopian future – required “an actress with some gravitas,” said producer Nina Jacobson, “someone who could really transport herself, and audiences, to a place as tough as District 12.” Malcomson has an impressive TV resume, including starring roles in Caprica and Deadwood and a recurring part on Sons of Anarchy, but Games marks her first major movie role. Malcomson joins a cast that already includes Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark, and Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne.
Posted April 22 2011 — 3:44 PM EDT
- 'Reign' exclusive: Francis will die in season 3
- 'Pan's Joe Wright on Tiger Lily casting controversy
- The (totally unironic) oral history of Alanis Morissette's 'Jagged Little Pill'
- Trevor Noah jokingly defends Rupert Murdoch’s Ben Carson tweet on 'The Daily Show'
- James Blake performs aching cover of Simon & Garfunkel 'The Sounds"So of Silence'
- Jack Black discusses overcoming substance abuse as a teenager
- Cate Blanchett barely holds it together for bit with Stephen Colbert