Paula Malcomson has officially been cast as the mother of Katniss and Prim Everdeen in The Hunger Games, according to a press release from Lionsgate. The widowed and down-trodden Mrs. Everdeen – a victim of the totalitarian government of Games’ dystopian future – required “an actress with some gravitas,” said producer Nina Jacobson, “someone who could really transport herself, and audiences, to a place as tough as District 12.” Malcomson has an impressive TV resume, including starring roles in Caprica and Deadwood and a recurring part on Sons of Anarchy, but Games marks her first major movie role. Malcomson joins a cast that already includes Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark, and Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne.
Posted April 22 2011 — 3:44 PM EDT
- J.J. Abrams says screening 'Force Awakens' for Disney bosses was 'horrifying'
- 'Flash'-'Arrow' bosses & cast preview epic crossover with 'Legends of Tomorrow'
- 'Magic Mike' star: 'Channing Tatum does not like me'
- Benny Boom in talks to step in as director of Tupac biopic
- Andrew Lincoln tells you what is coming up next on 'The Walking Dead'
- See the Mountain from 'Game of Thrones' toss a keg 23 feet in the air
- Hear Beyoncé on Coldplay's new song