Paula Malcomson has officially been cast as the mother of Katniss and Prim Everdeen in The Hunger Games, according to a press release from Lionsgate. The widowed and down-trodden Mrs. Everdeen – a victim of the totalitarian government of Games’ dystopian future – required “an actress with some gravitas,” said producer Nina Jacobson, “someone who could really transport herself, and audiences, to a place as tough as District 12.” Malcomson has an impressive TV resume, including starring roles in Caprica and Deadwood and a recurring part on Sons of Anarchy, but Games marks her first major movie role. Malcomson joins a cast that already includes Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark, and Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne.
Posted April 22 2011 — 3:44 PM EDT
- Samantha Bee declares late-night war on Stephen Colbert
- SXSW 2016 Midnighters include 'Hush,' 'Pet,' remastered 'Phantasm'
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: 'Cabin Fever' remake director promises gore aplenty
- Scott Pilgrim complains about everything in 'Scott Pilgrim' honest trailer
- See Teresa Giudice's reunion with her family after her release from prison
- Pentatonix announce 2016 world tour dates
- 'Finding Dory' plays hide-and-seek in four new posters