Paula Malcomson has officially been cast as the mother of Katniss and Prim Everdeen in The Hunger Games, according to a press release from Lionsgate. The widowed and down-trodden Mrs. Everdeen – a victim of the totalitarian government of Games’ dystopian future – required “an actress with some gravitas,” said producer Nina Jacobson, “someone who could really transport herself, and audiences, to a place as tough as District 12.” Malcomson has an impressive TV resume, including starring roles in Caprica and Deadwood and a recurring part on Sons of Anarchy, but Games marks her first major movie role. Malcomson joins a cast that already includes Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark, and Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne.
Posted January 18 2015 — 3:37 AM EST
- 'Daily Show' correspondent Aasif Mandvi thinks Trevor Noah backlash is 'much ado about nothing'
- Jeremy Clarkson of 'Top Gear' gets another chance, will tour with former co-hosts
- Patton Oswalt defends new 'Daily Show' host Trevor Noah in Twitter rant
- Rumored 'Star Wars' spin-off star Ben Mendelsohn talks his love of the series: Exclusive
- Dustin Lynch checks in from tour, talks 'On The DL,' spring break, and his new single
- Steven Tyler is going country
- Netflix's binge-watching warnings are the best April Fool's prank
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!