Paula Malcomson has officially been cast as the mother of Katniss and Prim Everdeen in The Hunger Games, according to a press release from Lionsgate. The widowed and down-trodden Mrs. Everdeen – a victim of the totalitarian government of Games’ dystopian future – required “an actress with some gravitas,” said producer Nina Jacobson, “someone who could really transport herself, and audiences, to a place as tough as District 12.” Malcomson has an impressive TV resume, including starring roles in Caprica and Deadwood and a recurring part on Sons of Anarchy, but Games marks her first major movie role. Malcomson joins a cast that already includes Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark, and Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne.
Posted April 22 2011 — 3:44 PM EDT
- Katy Perry's Left Shark returns for Shark Week
- Joni Mitchell's attorney recomments permanent conservator
- Can’t Buy Me Love actress Amanda Peterson remembered by her mother
- Robert De Niro's 'The Comedian' finds a new director
- Who should play the young Han Solo in the 'Star Wars' spinoff? Vote now!
- Elodie Yung cast as Elektra in 'Daredevil' season 2
- Two more networks pull Bill Cosby reruns
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!