Paula Malcomson has officially been cast as the mother of Katniss and Prim Everdeen in The Hunger Games, according to a press release from Lionsgate. The widowed and down-trodden Mrs. Everdeen – a victim of the totalitarian government of Games’ dystopian future – required “an actress with some gravitas,” said producer Nina Jacobson, “someone who could really transport herself, and audiences, to a place as tough as District 12.” Malcomson has an impressive TV resume, including starring roles in Caprica and Deadwood and a recurring part on Sons of Anarchy, but Games marks her first major movie role. Malcomson joins a cast that already includes Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark, and Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne.
Posted April 22 2011 — 3:44 PM EDT
- Ryan Lochte is 'Drunk Frat Boy' in parody song of Rio robbery apology
- Fox News host calls Red Hot Chili Peppers 'worst band on the planet'
- Bella Thorne comes out as bisexual
- 'Dead of Summer' unveils killer Amy twist
- Former Miss Universe becomes U.S. citizen to vote against Donald Trump
- 'Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders' trailer: Vintage villains are back
- Amy Schumer met Beyoncé at the Met Gala, but still left early