Paula Malcomson has officially been cast as the mother of Katniss and Prim Everdeen in The Hunger Games, according to a press release from Lionsgate. The widowed and down-trodden Mrs. Everdeen – a victim of the totalitarian government of Games’ dystopian future – required “an actress with some gravitas,” said producer Nina Jacobson, “someone who could really transport herself, and audiences, to a place as tough as District 12.” Malcomson has an impressive TV resume, including starring roles in Caprica and Deadwood and a recurring part on Sons of Anarchy, but Games marks her first major movie role. Malcomson joins a cast that already includes Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark, and Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne.
Posted April 22 2011 — 3:44 PM EDT
- WATCH: Michael J. Fox, Lea Thompson on the DeLorean from 'Back to the Future'
- Madonna, Jay Z nab Songwriters Hall of Fame nominations
- Lady Gaga wrote a 'Joanne' track about Trayvon Martin's death
- Michael J. Fox talks about the timeless nature of 'Back to the Future'
- Joss Whedon wants to direct a 'Star Wars' film
- 'Celebs React' series coming from The Fine Bros.
- Preview John Arcudi's new prison murder mystery comic, 'Dead Inside'