Paula Malcomson has officially been cast as the mother of Katniss and Prim Everdeen in The Hunger Games, according to a press release from Lionsgate. The widowed and down-trodden Mrs. Everdeen – a victim of the totalitarian government of Games’ dystopian future – required “an actress with some gravitas,” said producer Nina Jacobson, “someone who could really transport herself, and audiences, to a place as tough as District 12.” Malcomson has an impressive TV resume, including starring roles in Caprica and Deadwood and a recurring part on Sons of Anarchy, but Games marks her first major movie role. Malcomson joins a cast that already includes Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark, and Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne.
Posted April 22 2011 — 3:44 PM EDT
- Valerie Harper hospitalized before performance in Maine
- NBC wants Beyonce for The Wiz (but there is no deal)
- 10 retro love song suggestions from breakout blues star Anderson East
- This is what it looks like when 1,000 people cover Foo Fighters' 'Learn To Fly'
- Caption this: Your best responses to our cheeky 'Walking Dead' photo
- Kurt Russell western 'Bone Tomahawk' chosen as Fantastic Fest closing night film
- See EWwy campaign posters for the best comedic actress nominees
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!