After a brief swirl of rumors and alarm-raising headlines, Alec Baldwin is officially on board for Rock of Ages. Earlier this week, the 30 Rock star reportedly asked studio New Line to let him out of the film — a jukebox musical set to songs by artists like Journey and Pat Benatar — for health reasons. But now Baldwin is back, and director Adam Shankman (Hairspray) confirmed on Twitter that the actor was at a table read Thursday alongside co-stars Tom Cruise, Russell Brand, and Paul Giamatti. (Catherine Zeta-Jones, who will play the female lead, was unable to attend.) Baldwin is slated to play the owner of a Sunset Strip club in the musical, which tells a love story set in 1980s Hollywood.
(Dario Cantatore/Getty Images)
Posted May 13 2011 — 5:00 PM EDT
- See Keegan-Michael Key dress up as Penn State's football coach
- Prince performed for Madonna at Paisley Park
- See the stars of Shondaland wish EW a happy 25th birthday
- The Muppets go full Aaron Sorkin in 'Studio 60' mashup
- 'Adventure Time' cast reveals what's in store for season 7 at New York Comic-Con
- 'Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy' renewed up for second season — exclusive
- Ben Affleck's Batman had to be a hulking 'tower of muscle'