After a brief swirl of rumors and alarm-raising headlines, Alec Baldwin is officially on board for Rock of Ages. Earlier this week, the 30 Rock star reportedly asked studio New Line to let him out of the film — a jukebox musical set to songs by artists like Journey and Pat Benatar — for health reasons. But now Baldwin is back, and director Adam Shankman (Hairspray) confirmed on Twitter that the actor was at a table read Thursday alongside co-stars Tom Cruise, Russell Brand, and Paul Giamatti. (Catherine Zeta-Jones, who will play the female lead, was unable to attend.) Baldwin is slated to play the owner of a Sunset Strip club in the musical, which tells a love story set in 1980s Hollywood.
(Dario Cantatore/Getty Images)
Posted May 13 2011 — 5:00 PM EDT
- Jesse McCartney admits he's 'not a computer person,' carpools with 'Young & Hungry' co-star
- Bill Paxton talks 'Texas Rising': 'I believe I was born to play Sam Houston'
- Arya ready? 'Game of Thrones' fave Maisie Williams on life as wildest woman in Westeros
- Herman Wouk to release memoir in honor of 100th birthday
- Billy Eichner and Martin Short yell at strangers—for a good cause
- 'Wet Hot American Summer': A first look at the Netflix revival with Bradley Cooper, Amy Poehler and Elizabeth Banks
- Watch Weird Al portray Jesus Christ in a silent film
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!