After a brief swirl of rumors and alarm-raising headlines, Alec Baldwin is officially on board for Rock of Ages. Earlier this week, the 30 Rock star reportedly asked studio New Line to let him out of the film — a jukebox musical set to songs by artists like Journey and Pat Benatar — for health reasons. But now Baldwin is back, and director Adam Shankman (Hairspray) confirmed on Twitter that the actor was at a table read Thursday alongside co-stars Tom Cruise, Russell Brand, and Paul Giamatti. (Catherine Zeta-Jones, who will play the female lead, was unable to attend.) Baldwin is slated to play the owner of a Sunset Strip club in the musical, which tells a love story set in 1980s Hollywood.
(Dario Cantatore/Getty Images)
Posted May 13 2011 — 5:00 PM EDT
- Demi Lovato explains how she's like Nicki Minaj & Rihanna
- John Oliver: 'It's hard to overstate' Jon Stewart's influence on my career
- Watch Drake and LeBron James (almost) play kickball
- Simon Kinberg defends 'Fantastic 4': 'It’s not a disaster'
- Fall Out Boy, The Black Keys, and more are coming to 'Rock Band 4'
- EWwy Awards 2015: Sam Heughan, Andrew Lincoln face off
- Selena Gomez plays the villain in 'Bad Blood' behind-the-scenes clip