In Hesher, Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays the title burnout: a long- stringy-haired, heavily tattooed, mostly bare-chested pyromaniac stoner who becomes the protector of TJ (Devin Brochu), a kid reeling from the death of his mother in a car crash. Hesher, whose arrival on screen is almost always heralded by a demonic speed-metal riff, is a delinquent sociopath with a heart of gold. That’s the false, rather cloying concept behind this smug indie dud, and it’s made all the more irksome by Gordon-Levitt’s one-note show-offy, Keanu-from-hell performance. As the checkout girl everyone’s got a crush on, Natalie Portman makes a winsome return to her Garden State gawkiness. C
PYROMANIAC STONER Joseph Gordon-Levitt in Hesher (Merrick Morton)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Natalie Portman, Devin Brochu; Director: Spencer Susser; Author: Spencer Susser; Release Date Wide: 05/13/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- What we're reading now: Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin
- 'Daily Show': Trevor Noah's name floats as possible host; get a quick intro to his work
- Jerry Seinfeld on Wale: 'He's got that true artistic spirit'
- 'Orphan Black' star Jordan Gavaris talks Felix
- Kids' Choice Awards host Nick Jonas answers questions from kids
- 'Walking Dead' star Tovah Feldshuh on Rick-Deanna showdown
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Kate Mara, Sienna Miller & More!