In Hesher, Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays the title burnout: a long- stringy-haired, heavily tattooed, mostly bare-chested pyromaniac stoner who becomes the protector of TJ (Devin Brochu), a kid reeling from the death of his mother in a car crash. Hesher, whose arrival on screen is almost always heralded by a demonic speed-metal riff, is a delinquent sociopath with a heart of gold. That’s the false, rather cloying concept behind this smug indie dud, and it’s made all the more irksome by Gordon-Levitt’s one-note show-offy, Keanu-from-hell performance. As the checkout girl everyone’s got a crush on, Natalie Portman makes a winsome return to her Garden State gawkiness. C
PYROMANIAC STONER Joseph Gordon-Levitt in Hesher (Merrick Morton)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Natalie Portman, Devin Brochu; Director: Spencer Susser; Author: Spencer Susser; Release Date Wide: 05/13/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R
Posted May 18 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Diana Douglas, mother of Michael Douglas and ex-wife of Kirk Douglas, dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!