In Hesher, Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays the title burnout: a long- stringy-haired, heavily tattooed, mostly bare-chested pyromaniac stoner who becomes the protector of TJ (Devin Brochu), a kid reeling from the death of his mother in a car crash. Hesher, whose arrival on screen is almost always heralded by a demonic speed-metal riff, is a delinquent sociopath with a heart of gold. That’s the false, rather cloying concept behind this smug indie dud, and it’s made all the more irksome by Gordon-Levitt’s one-note show-offy, Keanu-from-hell performance. As the checkout girl everyone’s got a crush on, Natalie Portman makes a winsome return to her Garden State gawkiness. C
PYROMANIAC STONER Joseph Gordon-Levitt in Hesher (Merrick Morton)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Natalie Portman, Devin Brochu; Director: Spencer Susser; Author: Spencer Susser; Release Date Wide: 05/13/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R
Posted May 18 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Judy Greer and Nat Faxon preview 'Married' season 2
- Universal TV to adapt 'The Wicked + The Divine' comic for TV
- I'm not buying Emma Stone as an Asian-American in 'Aloha'
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- Marvel contest gives teen girls the chance to attend 'Ant-Man' premiere
- 'Ray Donovan' season 3: Watch the brooding trailer
- Kelly Rutherford: Judge blocks kids' return
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!