In Hesher, Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays the title burnout: a long- stringy-haired, heavily tattooed, mostly bare-chested pyromaniac stoner who becomes the protector of TJ (Devin Brochu), a kid reeling from the death of his mother in a car crash. Hesher, whose arrival on screen is almost always heralded by a demonic speed-metal riff, is a delinquent sociopath with a heart of gold. That’s the false, rather cloying concept behind this smug indie dud, and it’s made all the more irksome by Gordon-Levitt’s one-note show-offy, Keanu-from-hell performance. As the checkout girl everyone’s got a crush on, Natalie Portman makes a winsome return to her Garden State gawkiness. C
PYROMANIAC STONER Joseph Gordon-Levitt in Hesher (Merrick Morton)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Natalie Portman, Devin Brochu; Director: Spencer Susser; Author: Spencer Susser; Release Date Wide: 05/13/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R
Posted May 18 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kanye West's 'The Life of Pablo' has finally arrived
- Jonah Hill to host 'Saturday Night Live'
- Interracial marriage drama 'Loving' acquired by Focus Features
- Lady Gaga is getting her own 'Monster High' doll
- Melissa McCarthy hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Chiwetel Ejiofor says he'll never forgive Mark from 'Love Actually'
- Hear Disney princesses sing in their original languages