Like a prequel to 2009’s Adventureland, this ripely nostalgic coming-of-age tale is set in 1983 in small-town Texas, where 19-year-old Ritchie (Shiloh Fernandez) manages a roller-boogie rink — and loves it. That’s why he doesn’t want to grow up. The director, Anthony Burns, catches the flavor of the ’80s just before its defining pop culture (MTV, John Hughes) really kicked in. The film hinges on too many conventional crises (a car accident, a divorce), but the fact that Burns is better at atmosphere than story isn’t all bad. B?
COMING-OF-AGE Shiloh Fernandez and Ashley Greene in Skateland
Genre: Drama; Starring: Shiloh Fernandez, Ashley Greene; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Freestyle Releasing
Posted May 18 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- F is for Favorites: Maria from Sesame Street recalls her 7 favorite episodes
- Netflix and Amazon pass on 'Hannibal,' but EP Bryan Fuller has hope
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July boxoffice no picnic for Hollywood
- Michael Fassbender is the Dude for upcoming 'Big Lebowski' live read in Montreal
- ESPN pulls golf tourney off Trump course
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!