Yes, there really is a way to make a boisterous, dramatic comedy about African-American life better than Tyler Perry does. In Jumping the Broom, two families — one wealthy, one working-class — join together for a wedding on Martha’s Vineyard, where they produce a stormy comic culture clash. The setup is formulaic, but director Salim Akil keeps the encounters flowing in a lively, organic way. Paula Patton, all sprightly charm, is the rich-girl bride from a family of divas (led by Angela Bassett as the haughty mother). And Laz Alonso is the poor-kid-turned-investment-banker groom with his own scruffy clan, notably his intrusive old-school mother, played in a great, dour, layered performance by Loretta Devine. You’ll laugh — a lot — but you’ll also shed tears of recognition at this funny, salty, strife-torn look at the agony and ecstasy of family. A?
ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE Newlyweds' Sabrina (Paula Patton) and Jason (Laz Alonso) in Jumping the Broom (Jonathan Wenk)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Angela Bassett, Paula Patton, Laz Alonso; Director: Salim Akil; Author: Elizabeth Hunter; Release Date Wide: 05/06/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 101; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: TriStar Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- 'Better Call Saul' exec producer Peter Gould on that Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!