Yes, there really is a way to make a boisterous, dramatic comedy about African-American life better than Tyler Perry does. In Jumping the Broom, two families — one wealthy, one working-class — join together for a wedding on Martha’s Vineyard, where they produce a stormy comic culture clash. The setup is formulaic, but director Salim Akil keeps the encounters flowing in a lively, organic way. Paula Patton, all sprightly charm, is the rich-girl bride from a family of divas (led by Angela Bassett as the haughty mother). And Laz Alonso is the poor-kid-turned-investment-banker groom with his own scruffy clan, notably his intrusive old-school mother, played in a great, dour, layered performance by Loretta Devine. You’ll laugh — a lot — but you’ll also shed tears of recognition at this funny, salty, strife-torn look at the agony and ecstasy of family. A?
ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE Newlyweds' Sabrina (Paula Patton) and Jason (Laz Alonso) in Jumping the Broom (Jonathan Wenk)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Angela Bassett, Paula Patton, Laz Alonso; Director: Salim Akil; Author: Elizabeth Hunter; Release Date Wide: 05/06/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 101; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: TriStar Pictures
Posted May 19 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!