Yes, there really is a way to make a boisterous, dramatic comedy about African-American life better than Tyler Perry does. In Jumping the Broom, two families — one wealthy, one working-class — join together for a wedding on Martha’s Vineyard, where they produce a stormy comic culture clash. The setup is formulaic, but director Salim Akil keeps the encounters flowing in a lively, organic way. Paula Patton, all sprightly charm, is the rich-girl bride from a family of divas (led by Angela Bassett as the haughty mother). And Laz Alonso is the poor-kid-turned-investment-banker groom with his own scruffy clan, notably his intrusive old-school mother, played in a great, dour, layered performance by Loretta Devine. You’ll laugh — a lot — but you’ll also shed tears of recognition at this funny, salty, strife-torn look at the agony and ecstasy of family. A?
ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE Newlyweds' Sabrina (Paula Patton) and Jason (Laz Alonso) in Jumping the Broom (Jonathan Wenk)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Angela Bassett, Paula Patton, Laz Alonso; Director: Salim Akil; Author: Elizabeth Hunter; Release Date Wide: 05/06/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 101; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: TriStar Pictures
Posted May 19 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Inside Julie Plec's CW family with some of her biggest stars
- Melissa McCarthy: 'Ghostbusters' trailer was ‘very confusing'
- Michelle Obama and Jill Biden woo 'The Voice' coaches
- Christina Aguilera's vocal MasterClass has officially arrived
- Read an exclusive excerpt from 'Truthwitch' sequel, 'Windwitch'
- J.R.R. Tolkien's annotated Middle-Earth map acquired by Oxford
- Milo Ventimiglia reveals his favorite 'Gilmore Girls' townie
- Flashback to the 1996 Premiere of 'The Craft'
- 14 TV Cliffhangers and How They Were Resolved
- Met Gala 2016: See All the Arrivals From Manus x Machina
- 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt': Before They Were Stars
- 'Wayward Pines' Season 2: Exclusive Photos of the New Main Cast
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner