Yes, there really is a way to make a boisterous, dramatic comedy about African-American life better than Tyler Perry does. In Jumping the Broom, two families — one wealthy, one working-class — join together for a wedding on Martha’s Vineyard, where they produce a stormy comic culture clash. The setup is formulaic, but director Salim Akil keeps the encounters flowing in a lively, organic way. Paula Patton, all sprightly charm, is the rich-girl bride from a family of divas (led by Angela Bassett as the haughty mother). And Laz Alonso is the poor-kid-turned-investment-banker groom with his own scruffy clan, notably his intrusive old-school mother, played in a great, dour, layered performance by Loretta Devine. You’ll laugh — a lot — but you’ll also shed tears of recognition at this funny, salty, strife-torn look at the agony and ecstasy of family. A?
ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE Newlyweds' Sabrina (Paula Patton) and Jason (Laz Alonso) in Jumping the Broom (Jonathan Wenk)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Angela Bassett, Paula Patton, Laz Alonso; Director: Salim Akil; Author: Elizabeth Hunter; Release Date Wide: 05/06/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 101; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: TriStar Pictures
Posted May 19 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Venice Film Festival 2016 lineup includes Natalie Portman's 'Jackie'
- Cara Delevingne and Dave Franco give James Corden new eyebrows
- Kanye West compares life to 'Meet the Parents' in new interview
- Cara Delevingne and Dave Franco Drop the Mic with James Corden
- The inhabitants of Alice’s Wonderland, ranked
- Beatlemania revisited in Ron Howard's new 'Eight Days a Week' trailer
- Dee Snider releases politically charged 'We're Not Gonna Take It' acoustic video
- 'John Tucker Must Die': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Captivating International Crime Thrillers
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?