Yes, there really is a way to make a boisterous, dramatic comedy about African-American life better than Tyler Perry does. In Jumping the Broom, two families — one wealthy, one working-class — join together for a wedding on Martha’s Vineyard, where they produce a stormy comic culture clash. The setup is formulaic, but director Salim Akil keeps the encounters flowing in a lively, organic way. Paula Patton, all sprightly charm, is the rich-girl bride from a family of divas (led by Angela Bassett as the haughty mother). And Laz Alonso is the poor-kid-turned-investment-banker groom with his own scruffy clan, notably his intrusive old-school mother, played in a great, dour, layered performance by Loretta Devine. You’ll laugh — a lot — but you’ll also shed tears of recognition at this funny, salty, strife-torn look at the agony and ecstasy of family. A?
ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE Newlyweds' Sabrina (Paula Patton) and Jason (Laz Alonso) in Jumping the Broom (Jonathan Wenk)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Angela Bassett, Paula Patton, Laz Alonso; Director: Salim Akil; Author: Elizabeth Hunter; Release Date Wide: 05/06/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 101; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: TriStar Pictures
Posted May 19 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Diana Gordon makes powerful TV debut on 'Colbert'
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead recalls Michael Moore sex scene on 'BrainDead'
- 'Rings' trailer brings Samara back for more scares
- Stephen Colbert helps Rami Malek make his first Instagram post
- Ciara joins Miss America judges panel — exclusive
- AFI postpones 'Birth of a Nation' screening, Nate Parker Q&A
- Seth Meyers laughs at latest Hillary Clinton email revelations
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your limited series/drama nominees are...