The Biggest Loser has netted a new celebrity trainer: Tennis star Anna Kournikova will join NBC’s popular weight-loss competition next season, a network spokesperson confirmed today. The 29-year-old Russian is filling the slot that is being vacated by Jillian Michaels – who announced her impending departure back in December – though the Biggest Loser team is not viewing Kournikova as a substitute. “We intentionally tried to not replace Jillian,” executive producer Todd Lubin told Vulture, which first reported the news about Kournikova, who appeared on an episode during Biggest Loser’s tenth season. The direction of the show will be “getting slightly away from just the tape measure, and getting into overall well-being and health,” added Lubin. “That’s where Loser needs to go.” UPDATE: An NBC spokesperson also confirmed to EW that current Biggest Loser trainers Brett Hoebel and Cara Castronuova, who joined the series this year, will not return for season 12. The season 11 finale airs tonight.
Posted May 24 2011 — 10:53 PM EDT
- Hear Pharrell's remix of A Tribe Called Quest's 'Bonita Applebum'
- Marlon James' 'A Brief History of Seven Killings' wins the 2015 Man Booker Prize
- 'Fresh Off the Boat' exclusive clip: Jeremy Lin + 'Pretty in Pink' = ?
- Selena Gomez picks her favorite Taylor Swift songs
- 'WarGames' rebooting as interactive video short
- Jennifer Grey on 'Dirty Dancing' lift: 'Never ask me to do it again'
- Harry Connick Jr. is getting his own talk show
- 12 Instagram Photos of Pitbull Hanging Out with Celebrities
- 25 Unforgettable Dresses From the Past 25 Years
- Box Office Flops: 19 Notorious Opening Weekends
- EW's 25 Best Movies in 25 Years
- EW Reunions: Bonus portraits of your favorite TV and movie casts
- 'The Walking Dead': 15 Exclusive Storyboard Illustrations From Season 6