Adapted from a graphic-novel series (and what isn’t these days?), this unholy mess of horror and Western clichés is, at least, blessed with a wonderfully loony premise. A band of superpowered priests is all that stands between mankind (or what’s left of it in a church-led dystopia) and hordes of vampires — not the sullen, beau-hunk kind, mind you, but eyeless, mucus-covered monsters. When his niece is kidnapped by the creatures, one renegade man of the cloth (Paul Bettany) teams with a gun-toting sheriff (Cam Gigandet) and a priestess (Maggie Q) to rescue her. Directed by Scott Charles Stewart (Legion), the movie manages some evocative, sooty visuals and a few decent action sequences. But its B-movie sins are many, worst among them an icy hero and a plot that feels like it was built from relics of other, better films. C?
FORGIVE ME, FATHER Paul Bettany in Priest (Scott Garfield)
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Action/Adventure, Horror; Starring: Paul Bettany, Cam Gigandet, Maggie Q; Director: Scott Charles Stewart; Author: Scott Charles Stewart; Release Date Wide: 05/13/2011; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Screen Gems Inc.
Posted May 25 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!