We’ve all seen agony-of-grief movies about parents who lose a child. But how do you even begin to dramatize the hellish turmoil of parents whose college-freshman son becomes a school shooter? Michael Sheen and Maria Bello both have wrenching moments in this quiet, oblique drama. Yet the movie isn’t really convincing. It makes the son’s rampage so out of the blue that when the parents ask, ”Is there anything we could have done?” the only response the film allows us is a simplistic ”No.” B?
AGONY-OF-GRIEF Michael Sheen and Maria Bello in Beautiful Boy (Justina Mintz)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Maria Bello, Michael Sheen; Director: Shawn Ku; Author: Michael Armbruster, Shawn Ku; Release Date Wide: 06/03/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Anchor Bay Films
Posted May 31 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode: 'It was an important one for us'
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- And the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest is...
- Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' at 35: Horror director Ted Geoghegan pays tribute
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon take 'Roxanne' to barbershop
- 'Mad Max' gets the 'Mario Kart' mashup it deserves
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!