We’ve all seen agony-of-grief movies about parents who lose a child. But how do you even begin to dramatize the hellish turmoil of parents whose college-freshman son becomes a school shooter? Michael Sheen and Maria Bello both have wrenching moments in this quiet, oblique drama. Yet the movie isn’t really convincing. It makes the son’s rampage so out of the blue that when the parents ask, ”Is there anything we could have done?” the only response the film allows us is a simplistic ”No.” B?
AGONY-OF-GRIEF Michael Sheen and Maria Bello in Beautiful Boy (Justina Mintz)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Maria Bello, Michael Sheen; Director: Shawn Ku; Author: Michael Armbruster, Shawn Ku; Release Date Wide: 06/03/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Anchor Bay Films
Posted May 31 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I’m Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!