We’ve all seen agony-of-grief movies about parents who lose a child. But how do you even begin to dramatize the hellish turmoil of parents whose college-freshman son becomes a school shooter? Michael Sheen and Maria Bello both have wrenching moments in this quiet, oblique drama. Yet the movie isn’t really convincing. It makes the son’s rampage so out of the blue that when the parents ask, ”Is there anything we could have done?” the only response the film allows us is a simplistic ”No.” B?
AGONY-OF-GRIEF Michael Sheen and Maria Bello in Beautiful Boy (Justina Mintz)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Maria Bello, Michael Sheen; Director: Shawn Ku; Author: Michael Armbruster, Shawn Ku; Release Date Wide: 06/03/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Anchor Bay Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!