We’ve all seen agony-of-grief movies about parents who lose a child. But how do you even begin to dramatize the hellish turmoil of parents whose college-freshman son becomes a school shooter? Michael Sheen and Maria Bello both have wrenching moments in this quiet, oblique drama. Yet the movie isn’t really convincing. It makes the son’s rampage so out of the blue that when the parents ask, ”Is there anything we could have done?” the only response the film allows us is a simplistic ”No.” B?
AGONY-OF-GRIEF Michael Sheen and Maria Bello in Beautiful Boy (Justina Mintz)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Maria Bello, Michael Sheen; Director: Shawn Ku; Author: Michael Armbruster, Shawn Ku; Release Date Wide: 06/03/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Anchor Bay Films
Posted May 31 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- First Listen: Ellen Pompeo on Meredith's shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' attack
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Luke's daughter, April, and Mrs. Kim are back for 'Gilmore Girls'
- Kevin Bacon has a creepy kid in the trailer for horror movie 'The Darkness'
- Russell Simmons, Tony Rock to present All Def Movie Awards
- Everything you missed from Kanye West's 'TLOP' premiere
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996