We’ve all seen agony-of-grief movies about parents who lose a child. But how do you even begin to dramatize the hellish turmoil of parents whose college-freshman son becomes a school shooter? Michael Sheen and Maria Bello both have wrenching moments in this quiet, oblique drama. Yet the movie isn’t really convincing. It makes the son’s rampage so out of the blue that when the parents ask, ”Is there anything we could have done?” the only response the film allows us is a simplistic ”No.” B?
AGONY-OF-GRIEF Michael Sheen and Maria Bello in Beautiful Boy (Justina Mintz)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Maria Bello, Michael Sheen; Director: Shawn Ku; Author: Michael Armbruster, Shawn Ku; Release Date Wide: 06/03/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Anchor Bay Films
Posted May 31 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Franco has a very uneasy conversation with Letterman about 'The Interview'
- HBO partners with Vice for daily newscast
- William Petersen of 'CSI' joins WGN's 'Manhattan'
- Watch an exclusive clip from Sunday's 'The Last Man on Earth'
- Cameron and Donna reboot their lives in exclusive clip from the new season of 'Halt and Catch Fire'
- Christina Hendricks loses face in exclusive NSFW featurette from Ryan Gosling's 'Lost River'
- Imagine Dragons, Cold War Kids, and Weezer join Rihanna, Zac Brown Band, and more to perform at March Madness Music Festival
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!