We’ve all seen agony-of-grief movies about parents who lose a child. But how do you even begin to dramatize the hellish turmoil of parents whose college-freshman son becomes a school shooter? Michael Sheen and Maria Bello both have wrenching moments in this quiet, oblique drama. Yet the movie isn’t really convincing. It makes the son’s rampage so out of the blue that when the parents ask, ”Is there anything we could have done?” the only response the film allows us is a simplistic ”No.” B?
AGONY-OF-GRIEF Michael Sheen and Maria Bello in Beautiful Boy (Justina Mintz)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Maria Bello, Michael Sheen; Director: Shawn Ku; Author: Michael Armbruster, Shawn Ku; Release Date Wide: 06/03/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Anchor Bay Films
Posted May 31 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Simone Biles wants to meet Kim Kardashian at the VMAs
- Idris Elba teases 'big chance' for more 'Luther'
- Charles Osgood retiring as anchor of CBS’ 'Sunday Morning'
- 'Spider-Man' star Tom Holland sends Chris Hemsworth a stunt challenge
- Kate Mara says she'd return for a 'Fantastic Four' sequel
- Aaron Paul's wife sent him the sweetest birthday message
- 'iZombie' is getting a speakeasy 'for the discriminating zombie'