We’ve all seen agony-of-grief movies about parents who lose a child. But how do you even begin to dramatize the hellish turmoil of parents whose college-freshman son becomes a school shooter? Michael Sheen and Maria Bello both have wrenching moments in this quiet, oblique drama. Yet the movie isn’t really convincing. It makes the son’s rampage so out of the blue that when the parents ask, ”Is there anything we could have done?” the only response the film allows us is a simplistic ”No.” B?
AGONY-OF-GRIEF Michael Sheen and Maria Bello in Beautiful Boy (Justina Mintz)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Maria Bello, Michael Sheen; Director: Shawn Ku; Author: Michael Armbruster, Shawn Ku; Release Date Wide: 06/03/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Anchor Bay Films
Posted May 31 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- VMAs 2016: Who will win?
- Carly Rae Jepsen teases new album after releasing 'E·MO·TION Side B'
- 'Game of Thrones' actor Jason Momoa now has his own Guinness beer
- When are the VMAs? And other burning questions answered!
- 'Documentary Now!': Laura Bell Bundy, Lennon Parham to guest-star
- Jimmy Kimmel pranks Kanye West fans with fake new Yeezys
- Hulu Hot List: The best book-to-screen adaptations