Donald Sutherland has officially been cast in the film adaptation of The Hunger Games as President Snow, the ruler of Panem. Lionsgate announced Sutherland’s casting in a press release this morning. Although Snow mostly lurks around the outskirts of the first volume of Games, he is unquestionably the series’ main puppet master (and hey, Sutherland starred in a film called The Puppet Masters!) A quietly malevolent figure who is shrouded in secrecy, Snow was described in the books as a thin and unassumingly small man – which aren’t quite the words that come to mind when you consider the 6’4” Sutherland. Still, the actor has certainly earned his epic-enigmatic bona fides – remember his Mister X in JFK? – and it should be interesting to see him play off Jennifer Lawrence’s spunk Katniss Everdeen. The Hunger Games is currently in production, and is currently slated for a March 23, 2012 release in theaters.
(Andreas Rentz/Getty Images)
Posted January 18 2015 — 3:37 AM EST
- Get to know Nashville's most promising outlaw
- Weird Al talks about his worst costume and that time he fell through a stage
- Met Gala: 10 reasons it's more fun for fashion watchers than the Oscars
- Giorgio Moroder releases video for Sia-featuring 'Deja Vu'
- 'Walking Dead' actor Seth Gilliam arrested
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' soundtrack gets a remix album
- James Gunn weighs in on Joss Whedon fleeing Twitter
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Gisele Bündchen, Patrick Dempsey, Rosamund Pike & More!