It would be hard to think of a director who’s absorbed Wes Anderson’s irony-under-glass aesthetic as slavishly as Richard Ayoade, who made this coyly monotonous Welsh coming-of-age confection. It’s about Oliver (Craig Roberts), a teenager who never takes off his duffle coat or changes his owlish expression. He dates a classmate, but mostly he tries to keep his mum (Sally Hawkins) from falling for a mulleted mystic (Paddy Considine). The film is so self-conscious it seems to be dictating your every reaction. C
FITTING IN Craig Roberts in Submarine
Starring: Paddy Considine, Sally Hawkins, Craig Roberts; Director: Richard Ayoade; Author: Richard Ayoade, Joe Dunthorne; Release Date Wide: 06/03/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis looks back at 'SNL' and ahead towards 'Fletch'
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!