The Catcher in the Rye’s disaffected, NYC-bred prep-school antihero Holden Caulfield would not go easy on this ?derivative indie drama in which Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’s Freddie Highmore takes the Holden part and Scream 4’s Emma Roberts pretend-acts the as if role of the cool girl who befriends him. Old Holden would call the whole movie phony, and I agree, if you want to know the truth. A mysteriously glossy supporting cast including Rita Wilson and Blair Underwood play similarly one-?dimensional characters. The real New York City looks pretty, though. D+
KINDRED SPIRIT Freddie Highmore in The Art of Getting By
Genre: Romance, PG-13; Starring: Freddie Highmore, Emma Roberts, Michael Angarano; Release Date Wide: 06/17/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 84; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted June 14 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- Comedian Matt Braunger on pilot season, his new album 'Big Dumb Animal,' and the science of titles