The Catcher in the Rye’s disaffected, NYC-bred prep-school antihero Holden Caulfield would not go easy on this ?derivative indie drama in which Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’s Freddie Highmore takes the Holden part and Scream 4’s Emma Roberts pretend-acts the as if role of the cool girl who befriends him. Old Holden would call the whole movie phony, and I agree, if you want to know the truth. A mysteriously glossy supporting cast including Rita Wilson and Blair Underwood play similarly one-?dimensional characters. The real New York City looks pretty, though. D+
KINDRED SPIRIT Freddie Highmore in The Art of Getting By
Genre: Romance, PG-13; Starring: Freddie Highmore, Emma Roberts, Michael Angarano; Release Date Wide: 06/17/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 84; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted June 14 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Patton Oswalt on his wife's death: 'Grief is an attack on life'
- The Shins share music video for new song, 'Dead Alive'
- Emily Barr previews new YA novel, 'The One Memory of Flora Banks'
- Niall Horan plays Would You Rather? on 'Ellen'
- WATCH: A bachelor party turns bloody in horror film 'SiREN' — exclusive
- 'Muppet Babies' series revival a go at Disney Junior
- Warren Beatty plays Howard Hughes in final 'Rules Don't Apply' trailer
- Hillary Clinton Through The Years
- 'Hamilton' Stars Go Old-School for Vintage Portraits
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like