The Catcher in the Rye’s disaffected, NYC-bred prep-school antihero Holden Caulfield would not go easy on this ?derivative indie drama in which Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’s Freddie Highmore takes the Holden part and Scream 4’s Emma Roberts pretend-acts the as if role of the cool girl who befriends him. Old Holden would call the whole movie phony, and I agree, if you want to know the truth. A mysteriously glossy supporting cast including Rita Wilson and Blair Underwood play similarly one-?dimensional characters. The real New York City looks pretty, though. D+
KINDRED SPIRIT Freddie Highmore in The Art of Getting By
Genre: Romance, PG-13; Starring: Freddie Highmore, Emma Roberts, Michael Angarano; Release Date Wide: 06/17/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 84; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted June 14 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!