The Catcher in the Rye’s disaffected, NYC-bred prep-school antihero Holden Caulfield would not go easy on this ?derivative indie drama in which Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’s Freddie Highmore takes the Holden part and Scream 4’s Emma Roberts pretend-acts the as if role of the cool girl who befriends him. Old Holden would call the whole movie phony, and I agree, if you want to know the truth. A mysteriously glossy supporting cast including Rita Wilson and Blair Underwood play similarly one-?dimensional characters. The real New York City looks pretty, though. D+
KINDRED SPIRIT Freddie Highmore in The Art of Getting By
Genre: Romance, PG-13; Starring: Freddie Highmore, Emma Roberts, Michael Angarano; Release Date Wide: 06/17/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 84; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted June 14 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scream Queens' season 2 promo pics: The doctors (and nurses) are in
- Marvin Kaplan, 'Alice' and 'Top Cat' actor, dies at 89
- Kanye West's Saint Pablo Tour has a flying stage
- 'American Horror Story' teaser channels 'Children of the Corn'
- Mayim Bialik, Marcie Leeds recreate their 'Beaches' opening scene
- Demi Moore joins R-rated comedy 'Rock That Body'
- Reese Witherspoon is 'thinking about’ another 'Legally Blonde' sequel