The Catcher in the Rye’s disaffected, NYC-bred prep-school antihero Holden Caulfield would not go easy on this ?derivative indie drama in which Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’s Freddie Highmore takes the Holden part and Scream 4’s Emma Roberts pretend-acts the as if role of the cool girl who befriends him. Old Holden would call the whole movie phony, and I agree, if you want to know the truth. A mysteriously glossy supporting cast including Rita Wilson and Blair Underwood play similarly one-?dimensional characters. The real New York City looks pretty, though. D+
KINDRED SPIRIT Freddie Highmore in The Art of Getting By
Genre: Romance, PG-13; Starring: Freddie Highmore, Emma Roberts, Michael Angarano; Release Date Wide: 06/17/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 84; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted June 14 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See the first trailer for Michael Bay's Benghazi movie
- Did 'Scream' just reveal the killer?
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- 'Empire' creator goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall talks controversial elimination
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!