How go-go precocious is Judy (Jordana Beatty), the tween heroine of Megan McDonald’s book series? She’s so manic she thinks summer is boring. To avoid a bummer summer, she assigns ”thrill points” to various activities that all end up disasters: She falls into a river while tightrope-walking, gets splattered with Sno-Cone barf on a roller coaster, etc. The lesson is that fun can’t be planned, but the film is so airless (think iCarly as a videogame) that there isn’t a truly playful moment in it. C?
BEST TIME EVER Heather Graham and Jordana Beatty in Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer (Suzanne Tenner)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jordana Beatty, Heather Graham; Director: John Schultz; Release Date Wide: 06/10/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 91; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Relativity Media
Posted June 15 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Empire': Lawsuit claims kids were mistreated during filming at youth detention center
- Classic album covers get the 'Star Wars' treatment
- 'Mr. Robot': Carly Chaikin on the big Darlene shocker
- Prince's Paisley Park estate will open for public tours in October
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch as Bryce Harper holds her medals
- 'Serial': Adnan Syed alibi witness shoots down attempts to discredit her
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...