How go-go precocious is Judy (Jordana Beatty), the tween heroine of Megan McDonald’s book series? She’s so manic she thinks summer is boring. To avoid a bummer summer, she assigns ”thrill points” to various activities that all end up disasters: She falls into a river while tightrope-walking, gets splattered with Sno-Cone barf on a roller coaster, etc. The lesson is that fun can’t be planned, but the film is so airless (think iCarly as a videogame) that there isn’t a truly playful moment in it. C?
BEST TIME EVER Heather Graham and Jordana Beatty in Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer (Suzanne Tenner)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jordana Beatty, Heather Graham; Director: John Schultz; Release Date Wide: 06/10/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 91; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Relativity Media
Posted June 15 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Spotlight,' 'Mad Men,' 'The Big Short' win big at WGA Awards
- Box office: 'Deadpool' shatters records with $135 million
- See Ronda Rousey's 'Sports Illustrated' Swimsuit Issue cover
- Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon celebrate Valentine's Day with cats on 'SNL'
- 'SNL' mocks reactions to Beyoncé's 'Formation' with horror movie spoof
- George Clooney describes how 'bananas' it was to do 'Facts of Life'
- What time are the Grammys? And other burning questions answered!