As a writer in search of a story, New Yorker executive editor Dorothy Wickenden was lucky to have such intriguing forebears: Wickenden?s grandmother Dorothy Woodruff was a young, single woman when, in the summer of 1916, she left the comfort of her ritualized society life in upstate New York and traveled with her close friend Rosamond Underwood by train and wagon and horseback to teach school in tiny Elkhead, Colorado. Even luckier for Wickenden as a family historian, the adventurous Yankee ladies?turned?visiting pioneers were enthusiastic letter writers, and the letter recipients were savers. But the satisfying depth and vivacity of Nothing Daunted, the intimate, report-from-the-ground American saga the author has created with that correspondence as a foundation, have nothing to do with good fortune. Wickenden?s talents for research, observation, description, and narrative flow turn this unfaded snapshot of these early-20th-century women in the West into something even more resonant — a brightly painted mural of America under construction a century ago, personified by two ladies of true grit who were nothing daunted and everything enthusiastic about where the new century would take them. A?
Nothing DauntedAs a writer in search of a story, New Yorker executive editor Dorothy Wickenden was lucky to have such intriguing forebears: Wickenden?s grandmother...Nothing DauntedMemoir, HistoryDorothy WickendenAs a writer in search of a story, New Yorker executive editor Dorothy Wickenden was lucky to have such intriguing forebears: Wickenden?s grandmother...2011-06-16Scribner
PIONEER DAYS The story of two city girls who headed for the wilderness
Genre: Memoir, History; Author: Dorothy Wickenden; Publisher: Scribner
Posted June 16 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!