By the time Laura Ziskin, 61, died June 12 from breast cancer, you couldn’t call her just a movie producer. Really, she was a fighter, and without her battles we might not have the current wave of superhero blockbusters, Julia Roberts’ smile, or that club where the first rule is you don’t talk about the club. Over 35 years, Ziskin’s credits included 1990’s Pretty Woman, 1991’s What About Bob?, 1997’s As Good as It Gets, and her biggest box office hits — Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man trilogy. As a Fox 2000 studio executive in the ’90s, she successfully fought to make Fight Club. She also became the first woman to produce the Oscars solo in 2002, and did it again in 2007. When she was diagnosed with breast cancer seven years ago, she cofounded the Stand Up to Cancer initiative to raise money for cancer research. ”Laura was a strong, powerful woman in Hollywood who was equally compassionate and kind,” Ellen DeGeneres tells EW. ”It was an absolute pleasure to work with her when I hosted the Academy Awards and again on her passion project, Stand Up to Cancer.” Ziskin is survived by screenwriter husband Alvin Sargent, daughter Julia Barry, and son-in-law Eli Dansky.
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis looks back at 'SNL' and ahead towards 'Fletch'
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!