It’s tempting to watch If a Tree Falls doc about a scraggly group of ecoterrorists with a chip of skepticism on your shoulder. Yet the film creates a fantastic moral ambivalence. It was shot after the members of the Earth Liberation Front were arrested by the FBI, and it allows them to explain how, and why, they committed over 100 ”actions” of arson against timber companies, SUV dealerships, and slaughterhouses, mostly in the Northeast. The film sweeps us up like a thriller, forcing us to at least ask whether terrorism like the ELF’s (which targeted property, never human lives) might ever be justified. A
IF A TREE FALLS A Story of the Earth Liberation Front
Genre: Documentary; Director: Marshall Curry; Author: Marshall Curry; Release Date Limited: 06/22/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 85
Posted June 21 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See the first trailer for 'The Mortal Instruments' TV series 'Shadowhunters'
- CBS orders murder mystery from Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television
- 'Agent Carter' casts Whitney Frost and more season 2 additions
- 9 things we learned about 'Elementary' season 4 at New York Comic-Con
- Three 6 Mafia rapper Koopsta Knicca dies at 40
- Loras Tyrell wants 'Mr. Robot' star Rami Malek on 'Game of Thrones'
- Don Cheadle meets Ewan McGregor in latest 'Miles Ahead' clip