It’s tempting to watch If a Tree Falls doc about a scraggly group of ecoterrorists with a chip of skepticism on your shoulder. Yet the film creates a fantastic moral ambivalence. It was shot after the members of the Earth Liberation Front were arrested by the FBI, and it allows them to explain how, and why, they committed over 100 ”actions” of arson against timber companies, SUV dealerships, and slaughterhouses, mostly in the Northeast. The film sweeps us up like a thriller, forcing us to at least ask whether terrorism like the ELF’s (which targeted property, never human lives) might ever be justified. A
IF A TREE FALLS A Story of the Earth Liberation Front
Genre: Documentary; Director: Marshall Curry; Author: Marshall Curry; Release Date Limited: 06/22/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 85
Posted June 21 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Robin Williams' daughter shares touching tribute to Oliver Sacks
- Jay Z apparently joined Instagram – then quit after only a few hours
- See Miley Cyrus meet Internet sensation Baddie Winkle before the VMAs
- Netflix will lose 'Catching Fire,' 'Transformers' at the end of September
- See the 'Man of Steel' trailer get the 'Deadpool' treatment
- See 'Game of Thrones' fans visit filming locations around the world
- Dave Grohl celebrates Chicago’s music scene at Wrigley Field show
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!