It’s tempting to watch If a Tree Falls doc about a scraggly group of ecoterrorists with a chip of skepticism on your shoulder. Yet the film creates a fantastic moral ambivalence. It was shot after the members of the Earth Liberation Front were arrested by the FBI, and it allows them to explain how, and why, they committed over 100 ”actions” of arson against timber companies, SUV dealerships, and slaughterhouses, mostly in the Northeast. The film sweeps us up like a thriller, forcing us to at least ask whether terrorism like the ELF’s (which targeted property, never human lives) might ever be justified. A
IF A TREE FALLS A Story of the Earth Liberation Front
Genre: Documentary; Director: Marshall Curry; Author: Marshall Curry; Release Date Limited: 06/22/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 85
Posted June 21 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel