It’s tempting to watch If a Tree Falls doc about a scraggly group of ecoterrorists with a chip of skepticism on your shoulder. Yet the film creates a fantastic moral ambivalence. It was shot after the members of the Earth Liberation Front were arrested by the FBI, and it allows them to explain how, and why, they committed over 100 ”actions” of arson against timber companies, SUV dealerships, and slaughterhouses, mostly in the Northeast. The film sweeps us up like a thriller, forcing us to at least ask whether terrorism like the ELF’s (which targeted property, never human lives) might ever be justified. A
IF A TREE FALLS A Story of the Earth Liberation Front
Genre: Documentary; Director: Marshall Curry; Author: Marshall Curry; Release Date Limited: 06/22/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 85
Posted June 21 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scandal': Bellamy Young talks Fitz and Olivia's now-public affair
- Advocacy group criticizes 'The Martian' for changing Asian-American characters
- Julie Plec blogs the season 3 premiere of 'The Originals'
- Luke Evans, Henry Cavill join Nicholas Hoult in 'Sand Castle'
- This new preview of 'Room' will make you want to call your mom
- Julie's Diary: Julie Plec blogs the 'Vampire Diaries' season 7 premiere
- 'Game of Thrones' cast speculates about season 6 (and beyond) at NYCC