It’s tempting to watch If a Tree Falls doc about a scraggly group of ecoterrorists with a chip of skepticism on your shoulder. Yet the film creates a fantastic moral ambivalence. It was shot after the members of the Earth Liberation Front were arrested by the FBI, and it allows them to explain how, and why, they committed over 100 ”actions” of arson against timber companies, SUV dealerships, and slaughterhouses, mostly in the Northeast. The film sweeps us up like a thriller, forcing us to at least ask whether terrorism like the ELF’s (which targeted property, never human lives) might ever be justified. A
IF A TREE FALLS A Story of the Earth Liberation Front
Genre: Documentary; Director: Marshall Curry; Author: Marshall Curry; Release Date Limited: 06/22/2011; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 85
Posted June 21 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!