It’s tempting to watch If a Tree Falls doc about a scraggly group of ecoterrorists with a chip of skepticism on your shoulder. Yet the film creates a fantastic moral ambivalence. It was shot after the members of the Earth Liberation Front were arrested by the FBI, and it allows them to explain how, and why, they committed over 100 ”actions” of arson against timber companies, SUV dealerships, and slaughterhouses, mostly in the Northeast. The film sweeps us up like a thriller, forcing us to at least ask whether terrorism like the ELF’s (which targeted property, never human lives) might ever be justified. A
IF A TREE FALLS A Story of the Earth Liberation Front
Genre: Documentary; Director: Marshall Curry; Author: Marshall Curry; Release Date Limited: 06/22/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 85
Posted June 21 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!